Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete old contact phone number

A deleted contact is back on my iPhone and iPad when sending a new iMessage. If I click on the info i icon next to their number it only says block this caller, not delete from recents. They don't show up on the Mac previous recipients, or any iCloud contact list on any device. Recently had to do a recover from an old backup, and maybe that brought it back? Need to delete the phone number because I don't want to accidentally choose it, but can't find a way.

iPhone XS

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 5:06 PM

Hello Follow this

Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Learn how to set up and manage your contacts to change what shows up in the Contacts app, delete contacts, and more.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207207

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 11, 2019 5:21 PM in response to wendyfromsac

Correction on posted question.

A deleted contact is back on my iPhone and iPad when sending a new iMessage. If I click on the info i icon next to their number it ONLY says block this caller, NOT delete contact. So, I have no way to remove them or their number.

They don't show up on the Mac previous recipients, or any iCloud contact list on any device. Recently had to do a recover from an old backup, and maybe that brought it back? Need to delete the phone number because I don't want to accidentally choose it, but can't find a way.

Can't delete old contact phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.