Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update Apple ID Settings - how to get rid of it?

Hi guys,

so i upgraded to MacOS Catalina and a new Settings section for Apple ID is requesting me to "Update Apple ID Settings", I put in my password and then it requests my Mac password and nothing happens, I get the same thing over and over again.

So how do I get rid of this once and for all?

Thank you

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 12:13 AM

Hi Sulm,

When the problem occurred to me, I had to log off from my Apple account and log in again. And it worked.

Based on the warning message, it does not appear obvious that you have to log off first, simply because Mac OS Catalina keeps you logged on when you restart the computer. If it did log you off automatically, it would be an easier step to follow, but not everyone is doing a clean install.

I hope this fix works for you.

Best regards,

Alessandro

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2019 12:13 AM in response to Sulm87

Hi Sulm,

When the problem occurred to me, I had to log off from my Apple account and log in again. And it worked.

Based on the warning message, it does not appear obvious that you have to log off first, simply because Mac OS Catalina keeps you logged on when you restart the computer. If it did log you off automatically, it would be an easier step to follow, but not everyone is doing a clean install.

I hope this fix works for you.

Best regards,

Alessandro

Oct 12, 2019 12:44 AM in response to matti1971

In that case, Matti, I would suggest you try again to log off and log on and also go to the Apple ID control panel and check (and change, if needed) all the settings.

The Apple ID reset -- which is what the warning is about -- is something I was totally unprepared for (basically, Catalina resets all your previous iCloud settings), but since I always check the Mac OS preference panes at every upgrade, I could easily detect that Catalina wanted to "impose" some settings that I had to change to my liking.

I also wonder what would happen if someone had no Apple account ID. Perhaps they would have to create one from scratch?

Good luck, Matti.

Update Apple ID Settings - how to get rid of it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.