Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does Apple Music eat up memory

My wife's iMac is where we store all our Music ripped from CDs, downloaded etc. Since the Catalina upgrade the new Music app just eats memory killing everything else - this morning it was up to 57GB according to the Activity Monitor, and it just grows if you leave it - seems like a major memory leak

to me.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 2:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 1:17 PM

It is trying to upload all of the artwork. You might notice in the lower left corner it says loading artwork. This process can take a couple of days depending on how much music you have. I would just quit the application whenever you notice that the memory usage is getting high in the activity monitor. Hopefully this task will complete and you won't lose any album art like I did.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2019 1:17 PM in response to kdevans

It is trying to upload all of the artwork. You might notice in the lower left corner it says loading artwork. This process can take a couple of days depending on how much music you have. I would just quit the application whenever you notice that the memory usage is getting high in the activity monitor. Hopefully this task will complete and you won't lose any album art like I did.

why does Apple Music eat up memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.