Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Library items list missing all Photos

After upgrading to Catalina, my photos library upgraded fine and had to wait a couple of days for the People tab to finish scanning all 13,000 photos but after every was done updating and scanning all my albums and shared photos are fine but I am missing the new Photos item at the top of the Library list.

All my photos are in the Cloud and the new feature is available on my iPhone since upgrading to iOS 13. I'm sure all my photos are still there, I'm just missing the new Photos tab with the new Years and Months view options.

I did run a library repair and it finished with no issues, although now the People tab is scanning all my photos again but still no All Photos item in the Library Menu on the left.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 8:05 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 4, 2019 10:33 AM in response to joaocondeco

Have you also tested in another user account, if the problem is isolated to your current user account or system wide? Log into another user account as described here: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

• Launch Photos on a new, small test library and check, if the "Photos" item is there.

If Photos is working on anther user account as it should, the Photos Preferences file may be corrupted.

and removing the following folder may help: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Photos/

To delete the Photos preferences files:

• Quit Photos, if it is running.
  • Open your user library in your home folder:

Delete the complete folder ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Photos/ and restart the Mac, then try again. Your user library may still be hidden.

• To reveal the hidden User Library:
    • Bring the Finder forward by clicking on the Desktop or the Finder icon in the Dock.
    • Select your user/home folder (with the house icon in the Finder sidebar)
    • With that Finder window as the front most window, press the key combination ⌘J to bring up the View options.
    • In the View options panel enable ’Show Library Folder’. That will make your user library folder visible in your Home folder, if it is still hidden.
    • Open your Home folder, then the Library folder, then Containers.
    • Move the complete folder ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Photos to your desktop. Move the entire folder, not just the contents.
  • While you are about it, delete also ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Photos.plist

Restart the Mac and try again.

After you deleted the ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Photos/ and preferences, Photos will not remember the location of the library and the preferences you set. You will have to select the library in your Pictures folder and double click it to launch Photos on your library.

Oct 17, 2019 9:16 AM in response to Old Toad

Nothing in my recently deleted (invisible since empty). Deleted and image and Recently deleted appears with the image in it. Deleted the image and recently deleted folder disappears as usual.

There is only one library. Also deleted the local library, had Photos create a new one and let is sync from my iCloud. The photos tab is still missing.

Thank you for your insight.

Library items list missing all Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.