Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reminders app waking mac from sleep

I've been having 2 issues with my mac staying asleep, this post is about one of them, which is regarding reminders waking from sleep, turning the display on, and not going back to sleep:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). Mac OS 10.15. Have two external USB hard drives hooked up at all times.

In Energy Saver, power nap is off, wake for network access is off. In Notifications, Do Not Disturb has the following 3 checked: "When the display is sleeping, when the screen is locked, when mirroring to TVs".

I set up a test reminder, see the `inDelta=137` below.

Abridged log using `pmset -g log` (full log in attached file):

2019-10-12 14:26:25 -0700 Notification        	Display is turned off
2019-10-12 14:26:25 -0700 Assertions          	PID 582(useractivityd) Summary PreventUserIdleSystemSleep "BTLEAdvertisement" 00:00:02  id:0x0x10000a3af [System: PrevIdle DeclUser BGTask IntPrevDisp kDisp]
2019-10-12 14:26:25 -0700 Assertions          	PID 119(powerd) Summary InternalPreventDisplaySleep "com.apple.powermanagement.delayDisplayOff" 00:00:58  id:0x0x1000008003 [System: PrevIdle DeclUser BGTask IntPrevDisp kDisp]
2019-10-12 14:26:25 -0700 Assertions          	Kernel Idle sleep preventers: -None-
2019-10-12 14:26:25 -0700 Assertions          	[System: PrevIdle DeclUser BGTask IntPrevDisp kDisp]
2019-10-12 14:26:25 -0700 Assertions          	PID 119(powerd) Created InternalPreventSleep "com.apple.powermanagement.darkwakelinger" 00:00:00  id:0x0xd0000a3b1 [System: PrevIdle DeclUser BGTask SRPrevSleep IntPrevDisp kCPU kDisp]
2019-10-12 14:26:25 -0700 Assertions          	PID 584(sharingd) Released PreventUserIdleSystemSleep "Handoff" 00:02:38  id:0x0x10000a381 [System: PrevIdle DeclUser BGTask SRPrevSleep IntPrevDisp kCPU kDisp]
2019-10-12 14:26:40 -0700 Assertions          	PID 119(powerd) TimedOut InternalPreventSleep "com.apple.powermanagement.darkwakelinger" 00:00:15  id:0x0xd0000a3b1 [System: DeclUser BGTask SRPrevSleep IntPrevDisp kCPU kDisp]
2019-10-12 14:26:40 -0700 Sleep               	Entering Sleep state due to 'Software Sleep pid=205': Using AC (Charge:0%) 150 secs
2019-10-12 14:26:43 -0700 Wake Requests       	[proc=dasd request=Maintenance inDelta=43536] [*proc=powerd request=UserWake inDelta=137 info="com.apple.alarm.user-visible,481"]
2019-10-12 14:29:01 -0700 Notification        	Display is turned on

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 3:15 PM

90 replies

Oct 17, 2019 12:36 PM in response to FUNK1196

Hello FUNK1196,

Thanks for posting about the issue you're experiencing on your Mac. I understand that it appears to be waking from sleep unexpectedly.

I recommend checking out some of the suggestions from this link to make sure you've covered them all: If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected

"If your Mac wakes unexpectedly

Your Mac might wake for these activities:

• Network activity that uses the Wake on Demand feature. Examples of network activity include iTunes sharing, photo sharing, printer sharing, file sharing, and using Back to My Mac.*
  • Enhanced notifications from FaceTime, Messages, and other apps and services.
  • Bluetooth activity. To prevent Bluetooth devices from waking your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth. Click the Advanced Button, then deselect "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer."

This may help as well:

"If the previous steps don't work

These additional steps may help identify or resolve the issue: 

• Reset the SMC.
  • Reset NVRAM.
  • Disconnect external devices other than your Apple keyboard, mouse, and display. If that resolves the issue, gradually reconnect your devices, testing each time, until you find the device that is interfering with sleep. Then check the documentation that came with the device, or contact the device manufacturer.
  • Start up in Safe Mode to see if the issue is related to non-Apple startup items, login items, or kernel extensions. 
  • Try to isolate the issue by using another user account."

If none of the above seems to help in getting to the bottom of the issue, I recommend that you Contact Apple Support next.

Best wishes.

Jun 26, 2020 2:57 AM in response to FUNK1196

Same issue here -- battery drain overnight. It went from 60% to 3% two nights ago and happening last night too. After doing some digging I noticed that com.apple.alarm.user-visible-com.apple.remindd.time-alarm seems to be waking up the Mac every few secs. I've attached a snippet of the pmset log below. Basically these set of lines repeat all night, even when the lid is shut. Can someone please help?

I also noticed that one scheduled task persists in the System Information > Power > Next Scheduled Events even if I remove it from the reminders app so I'm wondering if this is the issue?

Sep 22, 2020 3:30 AM in response to FUNK1196

I have the very same problem as so many others here.

What did work for me, setting an immutable flag to `/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist`:

$ sudo pmset sched cancelall
$ sudo chflags schg /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist

$ /bin/ls -lO com.apple.AutoWake.plist

This prevents the system from updating the file and my MacBook no longer wakes to reminder events. Needles to mention that it prevents all scheduled system events like sleep, power-on and such.

I recommend removing the flag before a system update:

$ sudo chflags noschg /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist

Hope this helps at least some of you!

Aug 31, 2020 2:30 AM in response to FUNK1196

Hey all, sorry for the troubles, I’ve had similar issues in the past, according to many posts here, this may coincide with “upgraded reminders”. A fact is that when upgrading reminders, it isn’t specific to one device, yet specific to your Apple ID/iCloud Account, once upgraded, you will need the newer software on ALL your devices for them to sync correctly, this is one of the related articles:

https://support.apple.com/guide/reminders/about-upgraded-reminders-remneacab208/mac

I don’t know if this is even related at all, but reading some replies, it might.

Just curious, for everyone experiencing this:

Of course your Mac is on Mac OS Catalina, but, for the other devices using your Apple ID, e.g. iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Apple TV, etc., are any one of those devices running an older operating system, or even an older version of the current OS for that device?

If even one of them is not, just wondering if the devices trying to access “upgraded reminders” from devices that can’t access “upgraded reminders” is causing a conflict with that particular device that is, or is not up to date.

I’d say if a clean install has the same result, that may be a factor. Although I haven’t read all the posts, (long one). Has anyone attempted to sign into a different Apple ID to see if it makes any difference? Thanks.

Aug 31, 2020 6:24 AM in response to UKenGB

No offense intended. I've not observed any change in Reminders in 13.6.1, nor is any documented. I would suggest that perhaps the update kick-started the iOS/iPadOS 13 alert to "upgrade" your reminders. Perhaps you have a list (or shared list) that wasn't upgraded previously when you installed 13.

My point was that a recent change isn't the cause of problems reported back to October 2019, and in my case, back to May 2020, which is what you seemed to suggest.

What exactly Safe Mode does isn't well documented, however it mainly stops certain software from loading at boot, in addition to cleaning up certain cache files. In practice it tends to not load 3rd party software. Apparently "Reminders/Notifications" are "required" from the reference below...

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

This is a much deeper dive into Safe Mode:

https://eclecticlight.co/2019/11/08/safe-booting-in-catalina-has-changed/

This morning i verified that the Wake/Unlock problem continues for me. I have no idea why it didn't occur yesterday. I've packed up my log files and uploaded them to Apple. Hopefully this will help get some attention on this.

Jan 29, 2020 7:48 AM in response to FUNK1196

I'm having the same issue on macOS Catalina 10.15.3. Scheduled reminders from the Reminders app (synced between MacBook, iPhone and Watch via iCloud) cause my MacBook to wake up and activate the external monitor.

These are the things I have tried so far and which have not worked:

• Reset NVRAM
  • Turn off Power Nap
  • Turn on Do Not Disturb settings for "when the display is sleeping", "when display is locked" and "when mirroring to TVs/projectors"
  • Turn Do Not Disturb on (master switch)
  • Turn off notifications for Reminders altogether

The bug can be replicated easily on a clean install of Catalina:

1. Create a reminder in the Reminders app with a date and time (e.g. 10 minutes into the future)
  2. Put your Mac to sleep
  3. Your Mac will wake up at the designated time (even though you already got the notification through your iPhone or Apple Watch)

It doesn't respect any Do Not Disturb setting and it doesn't respect any notifications setting. Even turning notifications off completely on the Mac does not help.

I guess most people use their MacBooks without an external monitor and therefore never notice this bug. However, if you have an external monitor connected, it's easily noticeable and quite annoying as the monitor always gets turned on.

By the way, if you open a terminal window and enter pmset -g sched, you can see that these scheduled wakes are created by com.apple.alarm.user-visible-com.apple.remindd.time-alarm.

Apr 6, 2020 4:44 AM in response to jackjctaylor

This zsh lines are just to stop wbc_drain task. I search thru process that match some criteria and force stop them.

if the following command does not display anything, you do not have the wbc_drain issue and what maintain you iMac awake is something else.

pmset -g assertions | grep wbc_drain

one easy way to see if you iMac slept is to use this command

% pmset -g log | grep 'Total Sleep/Wakes since boot'
Total Sleep/Wakes since boot at 2020-04-05 19:01:41 +0200 :35

here this computer sleep/wakes 35 times since its last boot.

annoter interesting diagnostic to do is

% pmset -g log | grep -w --color -e 'Entering Sleep' -e 'Wake Requests' -e 'Client Acks'

This display the sleep/wake sequences.

the sequence is

• Entering Sleep
  • Wake Requests, this list all the future wake and who request it and when
  • PM Client Acks, got do sleep
  • Kernel Client Acks, kernel wake the computer due to the earliest wake Request

e.g.

pmset -g log | grep -w --color -e 'Entering Sleep' -e 'Wake Requests' -e 'Client Acks'
…
2020-04-06 11:42:42 +0200 Sleep               	Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep': Using AC (Charge:0%) 3205 secs 
2020-04-06 11:42:47 +0200 Wake Requests       	[*process=mDNSResponder request=Maintenance deltaSecs=3187 wakeAt=2020-04-06 12:35:54] [process=dasd request=SleepService deltaSecs=112052 wakeAt=2020-04-07 18:50:19 info="com.apple.dasd:0:com.apple.apsd.apprefresh,501:com.apple.mail.ApplicationRefresh"] [process=dasd request=TimerPlugin deltaSecs=19261 wakeAt=2020-04-06 17:03:48 info="com.apple.dasd:0:com.apple.coreduetd.people"] [process=powerd request=UserWake deltaSecs=11833 wakeAt=2020-04-06 15:00:00 info="com.apple.alarm.user-visible-com.apple.remindd.time-alarm,533"]           
2020-04-06 11:42:47 +0200 PM Client Acks      	Delays to Sleep notifications: [com.apple.apsd is slow(1003 ms)] [mDNSResponder is slow(5003 ms)]           
2020-04-06 12:35:55 +0200 Kernel Client Acks  	Delays to Sleep notifications: [powerd is slow(5006 ms)] [AppleDeviceManagementHIDEventService driver is slow(msg: WillChangeState to 2)(439 ms)] [en0 driver is slow(msg: WillChangeState to 0)(419 ms)] [AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager driver is slow(msg: SetState to 0)(904 ms)] [RP01 driver is slow(msg: SetState to 0)(1002 ms)]           
…

Here sleep was requested for 3205 secs @ 11:42:42

5 seconds later the Wake Request was made with earliest Wake at 12:35:54 for some maintenance task.

PM Client did enter in sleep

@12:35:55 Kernel did wake up the computer.

May 12, 2020 3:32 AM in response to MDaytona

OK, so here is a quick update after a week dealing with Apple Support trying to get to the bottom of this...

1. A Senior Advisor at Apple escalated my issue to their engineers who came back yesterday saying there is currently a sync issue with reminders, this may explain why various reminders do not complete or sync correctly across all of my devices.
  2. One of my suggestions as to why I'm having so many problems with reminders I pointed out could be because I'm a heavy user and the shear number of reminders having to be synced may be causing an issue, especially as I have been using Reminders for years pretty much since it was released, and they've been ported from OS to OS including the most recent. significant upgrade at the end of 2019. When I looked, I had almost 20,000 completed reminders.
  3. Apple's engineers said they didn't have the power to wipe my reminders remotely and that I was have to painful delete all 20,000 manually, a task I've been doing over the past week. I now have 0 reminders scheduled or completed in my iCloud.
  4. Creating a new reminder with an alert time *no longer* wakes my iMac up from sleep (hurrah), however I am still experiencing significant syncing issues. Any new reminder I set on any of my devices (iMac, MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad or iCloud) fail to sync across any of my reminder apps, something is seriously wrong.
  5. I have also noticed that despite my notifications being turned on on my iMac, none of them are working across any of my apps, which leads me to believe there is something fundamentally wrong with the notifications on my iMac and maybe it's not just a reminders issue.

To sum up, I'm none the wiser after 2 weeks of testing - without Apple or myself able to get my Reminders and notifications working I find myself seriously considering moving everything to the 'Microsoft To Do' app (formerly Wunderlist) which has raving reviews and seems to be working like a dream over the past week...

Nov 24, 2019 7:13 PM in response to chuck_3rd

One of my wake from sleep problems was bluetooth related. I'm pretty sure it was my AirPods waking up my iMac every 5 minutes. Turning off "allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer" helped with that.

However, the reminders issue has not been solved. I still can't get my computer to stay asleep when a reminder is scheduled. I tried all the above steps. You can see by my log that it is scheduled, despite my setting in Notifications > Do Not Disturb. Seems like a bug to me.

Dec 8, 2019 11:11 PM in response to MuscleRumble

Same issue here. I always had the entry "Scheduled By: com.apple.alarm.user-visible-com.apple.remindd.time-alarm" in System Information -> Power.

I tried everything like "When display is sleeping" on, "When screen is locked" on, Notification off by app, notification totally off, App-Nap off, pmset tcpkeepalive off, force deep sleep

This morning I scheduled DnD time from 0:00 - 23:59 and rebooted my Macbook. Now System Information doesn't show any wakeup events anymore for the first time.

Reminders app waking mac from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.