Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina high CPU usage even only browsing web page

My MacBook Pro (2017) just updated to Catalina. I did not noticed any high CPU usage issue before updating. After updating to Catalina, I notice that high CPU usage even Safari is the only running application. I checked it with activity monitor and it shows that "distnoted" is the process running at over 100%.

I wonder if anyone have similar issue on Catalina and how to solve it.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 11:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 9:37 AM

Same problems after upgrading to catalina.

syspolicyd is sometimes on 400+% CPU usage... same with xprotectservice. Also when iam not working on the mbp and no applications are open something runs at the background and after some time 5-10 minutes it shutdowns itself and its hot like ****...

didnt have any problems before catalina.

(MBP Retina Late 2013 i7, 16gb etc.)

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2019 9:37 AM in response to Pjakarim

Same problems after upgrading to catalina.

syspolicyd is sometimes on 400+% CPU usage... same with xprotectservice. Also when iam not working on the mbp and no applications are open something runs at the background and after some time 5-10 minutes it shutdowns itself and its hot like ****...

didnt have any problems before catalina.

(MBP Retina Late 2013 i7, 16gb etc.)

Oct 24, 2019 1:01 AM in response to JJ.HK

I had this problem as soon as I installed Catalina. I contacted Apple and they recommended deleting out files from the Library. I had a couple of DropBox .plist files. It seemed to work, but this morning when I opened Pages the fan started up, Pages was consuming 130% of CPU usage (I don't understand how that's possible), the fan was on full.

There's clearly a problem with Catalina if it can't run native apps like Pages properly.

Oct 26, 2019 7:12 PM in response to rme_lowe

I was having the same problems on my MacBook Pro 2018 plus the computer was unable to enter sleep mode and if it was able to enter sleep mode, the screen was staying black when waking up forcing me to force shut down.

I corrected both problems removing the driver files of j5create hdmi adapter from /Library/Extensions

j5create drivers are not compatible with Catalina making the hardware “react” as if its having an immune reaction to files it doesn’t recognize.

I moved the files to trash and everything is working fine for now.

Check if you have drivers that are not compatible with catalina.

Nov 21, 2019 12:29 PM in response to JJ.HK

First thing is to identify the parent processes of distnoted. Go into Activity Monitor and double-click on the row for distnoted. If you see a familiar name by going up through the parent processes, you may have identified the problem. Another thing that you can do is quit the process by hitting the quit button. Reboot and see if it comes back. Also try quitting all applications before rebooting.

Catalina high CPU usage even only browsing web page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.