Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud notes not syncing or extremely slow

I recently upgraded to Catalina and to iOS 13 on all devices. Since then, there appears to a problem with iCloud notes not syncing and/or extremely slow to sync. For me, I have to constantly restart the app on all devices. Sometimes the sync occurs, sometimes not. I’ve signed in and out of the iCloud on all devices. Same issue. Anyone’s else have this problem?

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 3:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 1:45 AM

I have this same problem. It has nothing to do with internet connection or iCloud storage, since all other apps do sync directly without problems. It just takes forever for Notes to sync, so something else is happening. The trigger for iCloud to sync is not pulled directly. I have noticed that the Note made on the iMac (Catalina) does not sync for ages with iCloud itself. Once it is there, the iPhone (iOs 13) picks it up without problem. So, it is an app specific problem!

Similar questions

52 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2019 1:45 AM in response to cfroman1

I have this same problem. It has nothing to do with internet connection or iCloud storage, since all other apps do sync directly without problems. It just takes forever for Notes to sync, so something else is happening. The trigger for iCloud to sync is not pulled directly. I have noticed that the Note made on the iMac (Catalina) does not sync for ages with iCloud itself. Once it is there, the iPhone (iOs 13) picks it up without problem. So, it is an app specific problem!

Oct 17, 2019 9:51 PM in response to cfroman1

See the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchlde9a31f1/10.15/mac/10.15

You must check the iCloud storage limit , it should not exceed the designated storage see these articles https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201656

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/icloud/mm6e5a441fc7/icloud

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT206504

Note : the notes box must always be checked in all devices , high network speed is essential .

Oct 22, 2019 11:08 AM in response to cfroman1

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any solution, but I wanted to add that I see the same problem across Catalina, High Sierra and iOS 13.

I have been spending a lot of time trying to different suggestions from this thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7720480?page=4. Now that I am basically down to testing with just one note, I can see that the sync is completely random across the devices and iCloud. Some changes are synced others not.

Nov 3, 2019 1:42 AM in response to HK Matrix

I am now also seeing an issue with syncing photos from iCloud to Catalina. It just says ‘Updating’ without fetching anything.

I guess there is a good chance the issues are related.

Others seem to have that issue as well (link below) but I wonder if anyone on this thread is also experiencing both problems?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250713682?page=2

Nov 15, 2019 8:40 AM in response to cfroman1

I’ve just tested creating, editing, and deleting a new note after installing iOS 13.3 beta 2, and changes appear instantly (within 1–2 seconds) on my other devices.

They are: iMac running Catalina 10.15.1, iPad on iPad OS 13.3b2 and iPhone on iOS 13.3b2, all on the same network. I tested changes from each of these devices, and the other 2 are always reacting immediately. If Notes are important to you, try updating to iOS 13.3 beta 2.

Oct 17, 2019 5:13 PM in response to cfroman1

Hi cfroman1,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that iCloud Notes aren’t syncing to your Mac or to your iPhone as expected. Restarting the Notes app and signing out, then in to iCloud resolved the issue temporarily. I’m here for you, and would like to share some information that may help. 

When signing out, then back in to iCloud, it can take some time for iCloud to sync files depending on the amount of data you’re syncing and your Internet connection speed. 

From here, I recommend connecting your devices to another reliable Wi-Fi network, then restarting them to see if the issue persists. 

If you’re still having trouble, contact Apple Support for further assistance: Get Support

I hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Oct 18, 2019 4:41 AM in response to qaretz

Just tested something. The Note I made on Catalina did still not show up in iCloud (web browser). I the used AirDrop to copy my Note from iMac Catalina to iPhone iOs 13 and then a few seconds later, the Note was synced with iCloud (webbrowser).

The problem lies thus with Catalina and not iOs 13...Apple, please update!

Oct 18, 2019 10:11 PM in response to cfroman1

Having the same issue here.

Signed out and into iCloud too, just like you. Did not solve the issue. Did restarts and shutdowns as well.

I was able to sort of solve the issue by toggling Notes off then on again in the iCloud section of my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Air. Now they are syncing, but it’s just very slow. Verrrrryy sssssllllloooooowwwwww.

Running the 13.1.3 on iPadOS/iOS and Catalina on my MBA.

Something’s up. I’m not alone on this. I know of other people who are having this issue too. It’s just Notes. All other iCloud syncing is working fine.

Only step I haven’t taken is performing a wipe and restore or set up as new.

Oct 19, 2019 1:20 AM in response to cfroman1

Thanks for everyone who chimed in. My internet connection is good, over 100 Mbps and plenty of iCloud storage. I did notice a slight approvement with syncing after the Catalina supplemental update (15Oct19) and iOS 13.1.3. But, after 5 days of using notes, the problem is the same - constantly restarting the Note app on all devices. Sometimes it syncs quickly and other times much later. And these are simple text notes, with no photos, links, etc. But as mentioned before, all of the other syncing services are fine and occur fairly quick.

iCloud notes not syncing or extremely slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.