Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS 10.15 catalina problem, false service battery alert

Hi all, I updated my macOS to macOS 10.15 Catalina from macOS Mojave on my MacBook Pro (2017 w/o touchbar) recently. After several days, I noticed my battery shows a "service battery" alert despite only having 84 cycle count.

Does anyone has the same issue? I tried resetting the SMC, but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,

d-pro

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 8:00 PM

6 replies

Oct 17, 2019 6:54 PM in response to babowa

Thanks. Unfortunately nearest Apple Store is away 3h by car and I have a back injury and cannot go. I will try to uncharge the battery and charge it again to check if the warning is gone or not. If not I will have an appointment after I’m feeling better.

Yes, it could be a coincidence. But after Catalina I started to have other issues too. Dock disappears after each reset. And I cannot connect to my 2.4 GHz WIFI. Only the 5 GHz works fine.

Oct 25, 2019 4:06 PM in response to d-pro

Had the service battery come up on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) 10.15. Upgraded from 10.14 to the public beta of 10.15 then to the official release. Only noticed the service battery a week ago. Contacted Apple and they said I should see a genius at Apple store and booked an appointment. Was in the process of backing up everything before hand and decided to do a clean install of 10.15. Now the service battery has gone and says status is normal.

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 408

Condition: Normal

Have drained the battery to 0% and now charging it back up to 100% to see if anything changes.

I've still got AppleCare to June, 2020. So I'm not worried at the moment if the service battery reappears.

But I would suggest anyone getting the "service battery" and with little time on their warranty to get it looked at just in case.

If you are out of warranty then it might be worth doing a clean install of Mac OS or search the forum more and see if it is more common and perhaps a Mac OS patch will come out to fix the issue of false positives for "service battery"?

Nov 3, 2019 2:54 AM in response to Andrew Kenward

Follow up of my story. After using battery until 0% and charging until 100% the warning did disappear. But... later I have noticed that lid of mu macbook is not closing completely. I took my laptop to authorized service. Battery was swollen. Sadly, my MacBook Pro didn't qualify to free repair program. It was supposed to be one of those with good batteries ;) After paying around 265 USD and waiting over 1 week my laptop is back and new battery works good.

Don't neglect warnings in your computers.

macOS 10.15 catalina problem, false service battery alert

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.