Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch sudden battery drain?

Is there something strange happening with WatchOS today? I have a Series 2 Nike Edition running 5.3.2 and a Series 5 Nike Edition running 6.0.1. Both has normal "all day battery" life prior to today. However, today both have drained battery much quicker (the Series 2 drained almost completely in half a day, the Series 5 now down to 7% after 10 hours). What would cause this sudden battery drain? No change in usage.

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 1:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 8:31 PM

Contacted Apple Support this morning who suggested rebooting both iPhone (11 Pro) and watch. Did not fix the problem, watch drained to 0% in 5 hours. iPhone has also drained down to 60% in the same time, which is much quicker than usual. Looked at the Battery Level screen, and note that Music has used 30% of my battery with more than 2 hours background activity although I have not listened to any music on my phone today. Any ideas?

206 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2019 8:31 PM in response to demuire

Contacted Apple Support this morning who suggested rebooting both iPhone (11 Pro) and watch. Did not fix the problem, watch drained to 0% in 5 hours. iPhone has also drained down to 60% in the same time, which is much quicker than usual. Looked at the Battery Level screen, and note that Music has used 30% of my battery with more than 2 hours background activity although I have not listened to any music on my phone today. Any ideas?

Oct 17, 2019 10:54 AM in response to demuire

Same here. Series 4 on iOS 6.0.1. Normally only uses a quarter of the battery after 16-17 hours. Since yesterday, it almost drained completely after the same amount of time. Tried rebooting iPhone and watch in order from that other Apple support post, but still seems to be draining more quickly than normal. Next step for me is to restore and re-pair the watch.

and before the stock support warriors come in, no, I hadn’t installed any apps, third party or otherwise, or changed any complications, faces, etc., or done anything to the watch. And yes, the iPhone was already updated well before the drain.

Feb 11, 2020 10:15 AM in response to Dead_Poet

Finally tried the following steps in these threads and posts as I had a Macbook Air (Catalina 10.15.3), iPhone 11 Pro (iOS 13.3.1), iPad (6th gen) (iPadOS 13.3.1), Apple Watch S4 Wifi (watchOS 6.1.2), and Apple TV 4K all logged into the same Apple ID and was able to confirm this "TrustedPeersHelper" process running wild on the Macbook and appears to be the culprit of the crazy battery drain.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250844998?answerId=252010215022#252010215022

https://www.waldonell.com/thoughts/articles/did-i-just-fix-my-apple-watch-5-battery-life-issue

After this, TrustedPeersHelper is utlizing 0% CPU consistently on the Macbook and seeing less than 2% drain per hour on the Apple Watch (all default settings) with normal (watch-like) use during the day and silent/do-not-disturb/theater mode on at night.

Feb 16, 2020 11:30 PM in response to demuire

A previous poster already brought it up, but you folks should look into the diagnostic logs for the watch (see Watch App, General>Diagnostic Logs). For me it said ‘TrustedPeersHelper’ and I posted the solution here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251111200

if you look through the logs, see if there’s a process with absurd CPU time.

60% battery remaining after 14 hours (Apple Watch 4).

Nov 17, 2019 10:51 PM in response to demuire

This is obviously a software problem that Apple refuse to acknowledge. Everyone's watch was happily chugging along getting up to two day's life out of a single charge until the recent software updates.

Getting your watch "repaired" will only cost you money as there is nothing wrong with the hardware of most people's watches (IMHO).

My watch used to get about 35 hours out of a single charge and then it dropped to about 6. Apple couldn't help me (spent almost 2 hours at an Apple store) but worked for me was :-

1. multiple hard power downs of watch and phone
  2. multiple unpairing and re-pairing of the watch using the backup to restore
  3. upgrading to the latest WatchOS
  4. charge the watch and phone overnight near each other

This (somehow) fixed the battery drain on my watch (series 2). It is back to it's usual long battery life. Not saying the above will fix anyone else's issue but these are the steps I took - plus I cursed a lot.

Good luck

Nov 19, 2019 6:26 AM in response to demuire

Tried all of the following advice so far and non seem to work for me.

Just gonna list it down so others can try and hopefully one of the advice might work for them.

• Hard Restart Apple Watch
  • Reset and Setup as new
  • Let the Watch drain till 0 and charge it back up to 100%
  • Let the Watch charge for 2 days
  • Turn off Hey Siri in the Apple Watch
  • Turn off WiFi in Apple Watch
  • Delete the Noise App

Not sure if there are more but please add on to the list if you guys come across anything else that works, this will help readers to save some time looking though the comments I hope.

Feb 18, 2020 8:18 AM in response to objectmaster

I found it helpful to have Apple remotely look at the watch first, before going all the way down to an Apple Store:

1. From your iPhone, open the Apple Support app (mostly blue with a small apple in the upper right corner);
  2. Select "Get Support" (bottom middle);
  3. Select your watch;
  4. Select Battery;
  5. Chat with an advisor and ask them do do a remote diagnostic on your battery. It's easy and very, very cool how they can connect to your watch thru your phone thru the ether ;-).

Oct 16, 2019 2:37 AM in response to boatjames

I have at least partially fixed the problem, although the battery drain is definitely still much higher than previously.

My phone battery also was draining very quickly and the battery app told me that the Music app had used 93% of my battery (all background), I hadn't even listened to music that day! Restarting didn't help, so did a hard restart and that fixed the phone battery, and today my watch has lasted a full day. It's almost flat though where previously it would probably be closer to 50% by this time of the day. So still high, but at least it's not dying before lunch time...

Apple Watch sudden battery drain?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.