Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Mailboxes disappear in Mail after Catalina upgrade

I made a 'clean' install of Catalina. I then made new Smart Mailboxes in Mail, but they disappear after closing and re-opening the app - but the built-in 'Today' mailbox remains or reappears when it has been deleted.

The same thing happens with my 'Rules' - new ones disappear and the 'Apple News' one re-appears.

How can I make it work 'normally'?

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 2:07 AM

I was having this issue as well. Clean re-install of Catalina and manually re-installed all apps (not because of this issue but my machine needed a clean sweep), then when re-setting up Mail I noticed that the smart mailboxes would disappear after every restart of the Mail app.

I unticked syncing Mail in iCloud Drive within the "document" options of iCloud Drive config, within system preferences and that has resolved the issue. For me its not an issue as I don't use the iCloud email.

NOTE I already had Mail unticked within the main iCloud options. Now they are both unticked.

I hope that's clear I have attached a couple of screenshots to try to help.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2020 2:07 AM in response to luffo

I was having this issue as well. Clean re-install of Catalina and manually re-installed all apps (not because of this issue but my machine needed a clean sweep), then when re-setting up Mail I noticed that the smart mailboxes would disappear after every restart of the Mail app.

I unticked syncing Mail in iCloud Drive within the "document" options of iCloud Drive config, within system preferences and that has resolved the issue. For me its not an issue as I don't use the iCloud email.

NOTE I already had Mail unticked within the main iCloud options. Now they are both unticked.

I hope that's clear I have attached a couple of screenshots to try to help.

Smart Mailboxes disappear in Mail after Catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.