Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi does not recognise captive portal after upgrade to Catalina

Ever since I have updated to MacOS Catalina, the wifi does not recognise some captive portal based wifi networks.

The wifi appears to connect OK and is assigned an IP address, router and DNS server, so DHCP is fine, but the floating window with the normal login details doesn't appear. If I navigate to the router IP address in my browser, sometimes it will show the login page but entering the required details fails to activate the Internet connection.

Anybody got any ideas for a fix?

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 6:05 AM

There is already an ongoing discussion

Maybe some of the tips over there will help you. For me it did not work out :(

I even had a one hour long call with @AppleSupport. Unfortunately even they could not help.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2019 6:05 AM in response to jeremyp66

There is already an ongoing discussion

Maybe some of the tips over there will help you. For me it did not work out :(

I even had a one hour long call with @AppleSupport. Unfortunately even they could not help.

Oct 15, 2019 11:26 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

There are Mac viruses out there. https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/mac-viruses-list-3668354/

You are somewhat naive if you believe Macs to be invulnerable. Whether AV software is an effective solution to the problem is questionable. Certainly Avast shared many of the characteristics of malware.

Unfortunately, as long as lists exist like the one I linked to, "there are no Mac viruses" is not a good answer to the people conducting the security audit.

Oct 16, 2019 4:18 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

That article that listed a number of Mac vulnerabilities and that proves the statement "The honest answer is there are no Mac virus' out in the wild that can attack your Mac" is hopelessly naive? That article?

It may be that all the ones listed are no longer a threat (and, yes, some of them never really were), but they do exist and some were real threats until they were blocked.

You also forget about the use case of accidentally passing Windows viruses on to customers. I work in an organisation where some people use Windows. If their PCs were infected and they gave an infected file to me to distribute to a customer, it wouldn't be too clever.

Wifi does not recognise captive portal after upgrade to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.