Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hotel wifi not working after upgrade to macOS catalina

Normally after selecting the hotel wifi you get a logon screen.

After the catalina upgrade this doesn't appear at all. There is a tick at the side of the correct SSID in the drop down list but it refuses to appear.

I've tried opening browsers, visiting captive.apple.com, changing DNS settings but all without a result.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 11:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 9:01 AM

Hello Apbran, I had the same issue after upgrade.

I just reboot and loaded into Safe Mode (holding the shift key on boot) and the Captive Portal worked.

I then loaded back into Normal Mode and the Captive Portal worked.

Perhaps it is incompatible Application such as BitDefender Anti-Virus for MAC?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2019 9:01 AM in response to apbran

Hello Apbran, I had the same issue after upgrade.

I just reboot and loaded into Safe Mode (holding the shift key on boot) and the Captive Portal worked.

I then loaded back into Normal Mode and the Captive Portal worked.

Perhaps it is incompatible Application such as BitDefender Anti-Virus for MAC?

Nov 7, 2019 11:23 PM in response to apbran

Hi

I work in the Hotel industry in the front desk of a hotel. Now is it that you do not see the hotel's wifi's name when you go to the wifi dropdown menu? If it is and it says connected but the web browser is still not working and there portal is not coming up try putting the hotel's website URL into the search box at the top of the browser. I know at the hotel I work at. If you try to connect to our wifi network and our portal does not come up if you put our hotels website in to the search box in the web browser it forces our portal to come up. From there you put the password there and there you are connected to the internet. Try that.

Also see if the front desk has a 1800 number you can call for help. Our hotel has that. When the guest calls the 1800 number it contacts the people that are incharge of our servers and they do what is call whitelist the person's device by putting it on our network without having to go through the portal or having to put in the password.

Give both of those a try and see what happens

Good luck

Nov 7, 2019 11:50 PM in response to James Panza

Hi thanks James. The Wi-Fi networks do appear in the list but the portal page is not triggered. Previously trying to use the browser would trigger it and prompt you to login and then the routing is set to work properly. Now I just invoke it manually from /System/Library/CoreServices/Captive Network Assistant

regards

paul

Hotel wifi not working after upgrade to macOS catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.