Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot upgrade to Catalina

Why does the Catalina download (to my compatible MacBook Pro late 2012) show a problem and just resets to Mojave with no further guidance? I tried via the "software Update" route and via the App Store; both failed.

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 3:11 AM

Thanks again fro your very informative and quick help, leroydouglas.

My 4th attempt at downloading Catalina installer worked well, so luckily I did not have to do more than wait patiently.

Your assurance that Catalina works well inspires me to learn its features asap; I already started!

Kind regards!

4 replies

Oct 14, 2019 12:15 PM in response to JBApplefan

You can try a safe boot and launch the installer from that environment.

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc.  

I can say Catalina has been trouble free for me on a mid-2012 15" MBP w/SSD and 16GB RAM

addendum: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Oct 14, 2019 12:10 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for your quick answer and references, leroydouglas.

As far as I can see, all requirements are met. Unluckily the upgrade still does not execute.

It repeatedly gobbles up 8GB of data bundle per attempt (4 so far), then briefly show that there was a problem (no fault code or tips) and resets to my current setting of macOS Mojave ver 10.14.6.

Maybe I should wait for a Catalina software upgrade first; especially because many people seem to run into problems with the current version of Catalina?

Cannot upgrade to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.