Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The names and message preview has disappeared from the left hand pane of my message app, leaving only pictures or a circle with initials to identify sender. How does one "get back" to showing the name and message?

The names and message preview has disappeared from the left hand pane of my message app, leaving only pictures or a circle with initials to identify sender. How does one "get back" to showing the name and message?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 3:31 PM

Hi RealvetSara,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re only able to see a photo or initials within your Messages app. I’m happy to help.

You should be able to extend this view by placing your cursor between one of your messages and the list of threads/contacts on the left side and dragging it from left to right.

Let me know if that helps.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2019 3:31 PM in response to RealvetSara

Hi RealvetSara,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re only able to see a photo or initials within your Messages app. I’m happy to help.

You should be able to extend this view by placing your cursor between one of your messages and the list of threads/contacts on the left side and dragging it from left to right.

Let me know if that helps.

Take care.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.