Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

New text message does not work

The red dot showing new text messages disappeared. The only way to see if I have a new message is to open the app. Why is this gone. I’ve checked focus and nothing is on. Very frustrating

iPhone 13

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 9:44 PM

CC Tewksbury Said:

"New text message does not work: I have tried all of that. I have turned off all focus items. Nothing is working"

-------

Getting the Red Dot for Messages Back:

Perform the following...

A. Enable the Badge App Icon:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: Notifications
  3. Tap: Messages
  4. Turn On: the Badge app icon

B. Disable "Hide Alerts":

See if Hide Alerts is enabled for any conversations in Messages: Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If it is on, then you'll see a dulled-out bell with a line through it. Only message threads with that icon will not receive notifications. All other message threads will.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 9:44 PM in response to CC Tewksbury

CC Tewksbury Said:

"New text message does not work: I have tried all of that. I have turned off all focus items. Nothing is working"

-------

Getting the Red Dot for Messages Back:

Perform the following...

A. Enable the Badge App Icon:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: Notifications
  3. Tap: Messages
  4. Turn On: the Badge app icon

B. Disable "Hide Alerts":

See if Hide Alerts is enabled for any conversations in Messages: Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If it is on, then you'll see a dulled-out bell with a line through it. Only message threads with that icon will not receive notifications. All other message threads will.

Sep 11, 2023 8:13 PM in response to CC Tewksbury

CC Tewksbury Said:

"New text message does not work: The red dot showing new text messages disappeared. The only way to see if I have a new message is to open the app. Why is this gone. I’ve checked focus and nothing is on. Very frustrating"

-------

Enable Message Notifications:

1. Go Here: Change Message Notifications on iPhone - Apple Support
  2. Scroll to: Manage message notifications
  3. Proceed from there as necessary

New text message does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.