Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb external hard drive issue?

Sometimes in Mojave my usb 3 external drive doesn't eject as it should.

Various symptoms happen:-

• right click icon on desktop, "eject" but drive icons remains.
  • Disk Utility opens with "Loading" screen stuck. When closing won't close as app becomes non responsive getting disks, so must "force quit" (when drives do list)
  • Relaunching finder doesn't always solve the issue.

The disk shows in Terminal: diskutil list.

It probably would work after restarting Mac, but doing this just to 'work around' the issue is cumbersome ..

I'm starting to think its due on this Seagate 4TB drive.. However i could also say i remember having the same issue with WD elements as well in the past (which was one of the main reasons I changed brands)

Also,, as my previous WD elements got slower and slower to read/write over time, and re-formatting "zeropass" was not really an option at all times, i decided to replace with with Seagate 4TB equivalent..

This is on a clean install, of Mojave, so i already know m best practices, as their strict to only install what i need..

I tried deleting content of "Caches" folder, and doing a disk repair, but came up clean.

Is this the drive as this is my 2nd one. or more likely the OS ? when trying to eject, its not due to one specific app used either...

I know Finder is not using it, and i've just relaunched it...

Even so, i would have expected Disk Utility to list drives regardless.

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 7:01 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 21, 2019 5:35 PM in response to Tech198

Hello Tech198,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! I understand you're having some issues with your external drive. I'm happy to help you in any way possible with this.

When you experience these issues, close all of your apps to ensure there are no other apps utilizing the drive: Quit apps on Mac

Also, check out this article for additional steps to try: If a USB device doesn’t work with Mac

Best Regards.

Oct 22, 2019 6:12 AM in response to MoonJ.

The only thing that worked was force shut down (held down power buttin till Mac switches off),,. I could not logoff and couldn't restart..

Still not any closer as to *why* it happens.

Ideally if there is anything to check in Console... i.e.. what to look for, that may give me some clue.

After I powered back on i mounted drive, and ejected drive fine.. it that helps.

usb external hard drive issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.