Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact photos in messages app

I recently updated my phone. It seems all my contacts that have their individual pictures are not showing up on the messages app. When I look at my moms info from messages it is not the same contact info that is under the Contacts. This is frustrating. So now all my contacts have letters (initials) next to messages instead of the actual photo assigned to their contact. It’s like this for all my contacts doesn’t even have the notes or anything else.

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 11:17 PM

1 reply

Oct 22, 2019 6:34 AM in response to af1326

Hi af1326,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are experiencing an issue with your contact photos in Messages. I am happy to help.

Let's start with some basics. Please navigate to Settings > Messages, and turn off 'Show Contact Photos'. Then, Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Once restarted, turn this setting back on again.

Also, depending on when you updated, there may be a newer version of iOS available in Settings > General > Software Update. If so, you may want to try updating iOS using the steps found here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

If the issue remains, please let me know what type of account your contacts are saving to. i.e. iCloud, or personal email account. You can confirm which accounts have Contacts enabled under Settings > Passwords & Accounts. Then, check your default account under Settings > Contacts > Default Account.

Thank you for your time.

Contact photos in messages app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.