Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina Blue Screen after update during inactivity

I updated to macOS Catalina 2 days ago and since then getting a sudden blue screen / color distorted screen when the iMac is inactive. Instead of going into sleep / screensaver mode its like the entire screen have a distorted color splash screen.

I have Irvue app running which changes the desktop wallpaper. Not sure if with Catalina OS upgrade the app has become in compatible and is contributing to the issue.

Model: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 5:58 AM

Similar questions

24 replies

Oct 21, 2019 1:44 PM in response to apkol

I am getting blue screen too. 3rd time since Catalina update. Today is 10-21-2019.

It happens when the iMac is inactive. Instead of going into sleep / screensaver mode it is a distorted color or solid blue. See image.

I contacted Apple Care and they do not have a remedy but trouble shooting procedures.

How does apple gather these symptoms to fix?

Oct 17, 2019 8:27 AM in response to apkol

My second display turns blue within 10 seconds. It's an older model with a wide VGA plug but its an apple screen and a mac book pro. It was working just fine before I installed Catalina.

They don't have the cable on the apple store website so I had to order something on amazon to connect. So I assume its the software not wanting me to use the non apple converter cable.

Dear Apple please change that software block or sell some better cables. It's not very environmentally friendly to have to buy a new display because of this new software restriction for only apple products.

Nov 8, 2019 3:43 PM in response to apkol

I don't use any sort of wall paper app or anything and my iMac has been doing it as well since the update. The screen is a bright blue and does not go away unless I wake the computer. If I put the computer to sleep, it will go black initially but then 5-10 minutes later the blue screen comes back. I worry it will hurt the monitor because it is a very very bright blue, across the entire display, and does not go away. It sits like that overnight. While I wait for a fix, should I be worried about my monitor? Should I shut it down at night?

Nov 14, 2019 3:56 PM in response to apkol

I have a new MAC desktop with Catalina 10.15.1 running on it - and I'm getting the same problem: When the machine goes to sleep it switches to a solid blue screen. It wakes up just fine, but when it goes back to sleep, the blue screen appears at some point later. No special apps running. I'm getting very discouraged from this Catalina update... never in my long history of owning Apple products have I had so many bugs hit my Apple computers (laptop and workstations) at one time.

Nov 28, 2019 10:11 PM in response to apkol

Has anybody found a working solution yet? Reporting to Apple Feedback is not yielding any result. My imac screen is going totally blue or a distorted color of the wallpaper everytime it goes to sleep. Am getting worried about my screen pixels getting permanently damaged now. I sure am gonna sue Apple if my machine gets damaged.

Jan 7, 2020 9:19 PM in response to apkol

I bought my new iMac in September 2019 with Mojave, and upgraded to Catalina two weeks ago.

Normally when I do Apple -> Sleep the screen goes black and stays that way. Three times in the past two weeks the screen turned black as usual, then a few minutes later it turned BLUE.

It performs A-Okay; this weird, occasional blue screen is the only problem I have. I can live with it, but if it is fixable I would like to know!

FWIW: plugged into the iMac is a USB Apple keyboard, a USB Logitech mouse (very basic, not a gaming mouse), and a USB Canon inkjet printer (which is always turned off when I put iMac to sleep.)

macOS Catalina Blue Screen after update during inactivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.