Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen flickering after MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 Update

My Macbook was working fine before, I got an update to so I updated the system and just after the update the screen started flickering on black background, video, and all contrast is increased. I have tried all the options on the internet. What should I do? as there is no official apple service centre in my city

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 10:46 PM

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the screen issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Thats all I have for now. Beyond the above recommendations, You can have your MacBook Pro examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center when they open or contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2020 10:46 PM in response to sohaibaijaz9

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the screen issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Thats all I have for now. Beyond the above recommendations, You can have your MacBook Pro examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center when they open or contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

Sep 10, 2020 3:58 PM in response to sohaibaijaz9

Hello Sohaib,

You have a MacBook Pro and most (not all) have a discrete GPU and an integrated (with the logic board) GPU. The discrete GPU (for ex, NVIDIA or AMD Radeon etc), has its own RAM (VRAM) while the integrated does not. All demanding video instructions are carried out by the discrete GPU while the less demanding is carried out by the integrated.

Look up your model of MacBook Pro and check its specifications and you will know whether you have the Discrete GPU.

Why did I mention the above? When in SAFE mode your MacBook Pro only uses the Discrete GPU. You saw no screen flickering while in Safe mode. What if there is an issue with the integrated GPU? Let's test that.

On your MacBook Pro, open System Preferences ➔ Energy Saver : Here, see whether you have the Automatic Graphics Switching Option. If you do then you have two GPUs. Uncheck that option. This will force the MacBook Pro to use the Discrete GPU only. See whether that action takes care of the screen flicker. If it does then we know that the issue remains with the integrated GPU. If it doesn't then we have some software related issues.

Axel F.

Screen flickering after MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.