Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder doesn't change to dark mode

When changing over to dark mode, my Finder windows don't change. Any ideas why?

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 10:14 AM

Turns out I had set my menu bar to dark a long while back. I had to turn off that system setting to get things to work correctly. To do this, I typed this in Terminal.

defaults write -g NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool No

Dark mode works correctly now.

2 replies

Oct 22, 2019 9:48 AM in response to BatteryLow

Hi there, BatteryLow!

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities. After reading your issue, I understand that when you enable Dark Mode on your Mac in macOS Catalina, everything changes except the Finder windows. I'm happy to help!

First, try relaunching Finder from the force quit menu: How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support. Then, restart your Mac: How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support.

If the issue continues after that, reset the NVRAM: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support. Next, see if it persists in safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support, then a new, test user: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support.

Have a wonderful day!

Finder doesn't change to dark mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.