You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Undefined error: 0 MacOS upgrade

Hi,

My friend's 21" iMac started a upgrade and is now coming up with MacOS could not be installed on your computer, The operation could not be completed undefined error: 0

I have tried disk repair which gives error 8 so I booted to Single user mode but the command prompt is on the recovery partition dev/disk2s1 not Macintosh HD, how do i change to dev/disk1s1. so i can run fsck -fy

Holding shift on boot only shows recovery drive.

Eddie

iMac Pro

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 7:26 AM

1 reply

Oct 16, 2019 10:05 AM in response to -the_fixer-

Hi Eddie,

In Terminal cd is used to change directory...

Moving around

When you’re in the Finder and you want to move to another folder, you find that folder and double-click it. From the command line, you use the cd (or change directory) command instead. So let’s say you’re in your Home folder and want to peek inside the Downloads folder. To do that, you’d type cd Downloads. (Remember to always type a space after any command that has an additional argument, such as the name of a directory in the previous example.) Once you’ve done that, ls will show you the contents of your Downloads folder.

Here are a couple of quick tricks for moving around in your Mac’s file system.

If you type cd and press the Return key—with no directory specified—you’ll go back to your Home folder. (You can also type cd ~ to go there.)

If you type cd /, you’ll go to the root level of your startup disk.

If you type cd .. (that’s two periods), you’ll go to the directory above the one you’re currently in. So if you’re in your home folder, and type cd .., you’ll go to your Mac’s /Users folder.

And if you type cd - (hyphen) you’ll go back to the directory you were in before the last time you issued the cd command.

That should be enough to get you started. Try playing around in Terminal, exploring your folders and files with just those two commands. In future articles, I’ll show you how you can apply the ls and cd commands in more depth, so you can be comfortable flitting around your file system from the command line.

Note: When you purchase something after clicking links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. Read our affiliate link policy for more details.

https://www.macworld.com/article/2042378/master-the-command-line-navigating-files-and-folders.html

Undefined error: 0 MacOS upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.