Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mount shows increasing number of similar automount map entries after update to Catalina

Longer ago i crated an automount map /etc/auto_NAS and configured it in /etc/auto_master. Purpose: Mount NAS shared automatically when accessing a specific path. Auto-mounting works well but after update to Catalina the mount command shows several similar entries of the automount map. The number of similar entries increases over time (I suppose every time the drive was auto-mounted).

Looks like the following:

/dev/disk1s5 on / (apfs, local, read-only, journaled)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
/dev/disk1s1 on /System/Volumes/Data (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse)
/dev/disk1s4 on /private/var/vm (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse)
map -hosts on /System/Volumes/Data/net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)
map auto_home on /System/Volumes/Data/home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)
map auto_NAS on /Users/klaus/NAS (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)
/dev/disk1s3 on /Volumes/Recovery (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse)
/dev/disk2s2 on /Volumes/Backup (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled)

The behavior is independent from the fs-type mounted (afp, cifs/smb).

Any idea about this behavior?

Similar experiences?

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 11:18 AM

Try dexigner's suggestion from this thread (autofs in Catalina - Apple Community) and move your mount point out of your home folder (/System/Volumes/Data/Users/you/Nas) to just /System/Volumes/Data/Nas.

I've observed the same behavior with increasing duplicate maps, to the point that I'd have to restart my computer every 12 hours or so (CPU utilization increases with the number of duplicate maps). Moving my mount point seems to have finally squashed this issue.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2020 11:18 AM in response to wzi

Try dexigner's suggestion from this thread (autofs in Catalina - Apple Community) and move your mount point out of your home folder (/System/Volumes/Data/Users/you/Nas) to just /System/Volumes/Data/Nas.

I've observed the same behavior with increasing duplicate maps, to the point that I'd have to restart my computer every 12 hours or so (CPU utilization increases with the number of duplicate maps). Moving my mount point seems to have finally squashed this issue.

Mount shows increasing number of similar automount map entries after update to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.