Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone experiencing Catalina NAS mounts spontaneously dismounting?

Anyone notice NAS devices (specifically Synology 1817+) spontaneously dismounting over time?

This has resulted in numerous backup failures both manually through things like FoldersSynchronizer and automagically through Time Machine.

This appears to happen using AFP or SMB.

Environment: macOS 10.15.6 (19G2021), 2020 iMac 5K core-i9, Radeon Pro 5700 XT, 4 TB, 10 gb ethernet, Orbi RBK853 using LAN ports on router and satellites, Wifi 6 backhaul enabled.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 1:33 PM

Never mind.

Looks like problems were caused by a bad ethernet cable.

History: AFP mounts were disconnecting randomly causing backup failures. After searching for cause, saw a post recommending switching to SMB and IP addresses. Still experienced disconnects, so I adjusted ethernet parameters on 10 gb ethernet to 1000baseT, full duplex, no flow control, no AV streaming after which I experience hangs which looked like stale mounts (and of course kept the Mac from shutting down cleanly). Switched back to AFP and problems seemed to disappear.

So ... swapped out both ethernet cables Synology <-> Orbi router and iMac <-> Orbi satellite that of all the 6000 changes seems to have killed the disconnects

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2020 1:33 PM in response to Big Iron

Never mind.

Looks like problems were caused by a bad ethernet cable.

History: AFP mounts were disconnecting randomly causing backup failures. After searching for cause, saw a post recommending switching to SMB and IP addresses. Still experienced disconnects, so I adjusted ethernet parameters on 10 gb ethernet to 1000baseT, full duplex, no flow control, no AV streaming after which I experience hangs which looked like stale mounts (and of course kept the Mac from shutting down cleanly). Switched back to AFP and problems seemed to disappear.

So ... swapped out both ethernet cables Synology <-> Orbi router and iMac <-> Orbi satellite that of all the 6000 changes seems to have killed the disconnects

Anyone experiencing Catalina NAS mounts spontaneously dismounting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.