Disk not ejected properly "Backups of ..." on Ventura

I've got Time Machine on a MacBook Pro configured to backup to an iMac with a network Time Machine-shared external drive. This has worked fine for several years, but since upgrading the MacBook Pro to Ventura, each morning I'm greeted with one or more alerts: "Disk Not Ejected Properly: Eject "Backups of <MBP name>" before disconnecting or turning it off.

The networked drive still appears and works if I select the iMac in the Finder, although it does not appear to stay mounted--it was not showing the eject button in the Finder window sidebar.

Any suggestions for avoiding this situation?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 11:05 AM

Regretfully unhelpful: this set of "resources" do not appear to have been updated for Ventura. Additionally, these resources do not address the problem reported, which appears as a spontaneous early disconnect of the backup disk and not a failure or inability to connect to the disk.

Similar questions

36 replies

Feb 9, 2023 11:25 AM in response to Paul Collins

I am registering the same experience. I have a 2022 MBP 16" running the latest version of Ventura. Time Machine is configured to save backups to a network drive (a nas device). This has worked flawlessly for years. Coincident with the Ventura upgrade, I now get a random "Disk Not Ejected Properly" error message from MacOS when I wake the laptop. Note that I ensure that any running Time Machine backup has fully completed and cleaned up before sleeping the machine. There is most certainly a bug that was introduced with Ventura that causes the machine to think that the network drive was improperly ejected after lid close/sleep. After wakeup, the machine resumes Time Machine backups without issue.

Jun 20, 2023 6:56 AM in response to Paul Collins

I had a similar issue with MacBook Pro (M1 Max) when upgrading to OSX Ventura 13.4. TM backup to Synology NAS (DS1515+, DSM 6.2.4.x) was giving me "Disk not ejected properly" message and I was able to resolve the issue after researching the matter as follows:

1. Reinstalled Ventura 13.4
  2. Upgraded Synology NAS to DSM 7.1.1.x
  3. Ran initial TM Backup from Macbook Pro to a new folder on the Synology NAS in Safe Mode

It was important to run the 1st run of TM Backup in Safe Mode, otherwise I continued to receive the "Disk not ejected properly" message.

Hope this helps ...

Jun 12, 2023 9:28 AM in response to rwbramel

A workaround that many of us use is to uncheck this checkbox to prevent the Mac from sleeping. Instead just use the screen saver:

And shut down the Mac at night instead of sleeping. That has an added benefit due to shutting down and rebooting in the AM clears out temporary system and application cache and swap files which helps system performance.

Mar 9, 2023 5:36 PM in response to McGroarty

I made a change that seemed to stop the "ejections": My TM backups are internal drives in an OtherWorldComputing toaster-style drive dock (newer version than I have linked for identification). (The "server" is a 2012 iMac). I think the problem went away when I removed one of the two drives I had in the dock and only used one. I also got a new drive, so it might have been the old drive that was failing in this way.

Apr 9, 2023 7:33 PM in response to Neil22R

For the reply by Neil224, while appreciated, I don't believe you understood the issue. The remote drive (hardware) remains mounted to a second Mac and shared as a Time Machine drive. The problem is the sparsebundle on that drice. Time Machine is somehow not unmounting the disk image correctly, and we get the "disk not ejected properly" message for the sparsebundle disk image, not the physical drive. This is happening to me constantly. And whatever it's doing, one time it corrupted the sparsebundle (the one on the shared drive attached to the remote mac) rendering it unopenable.

Apr 21, 2023 9:41 AM in response to rcherryuk

I have the exact same problem with my Mac Studio M1 and QNAP. It is on Ventura 13.3.1 now and still happening. It seems like the system/network sleep causes these disconnects. If my computer is active, they all work fine.

I also have a similar issue with my SuperDuper backups to the same QNAP NAS. If I run the backups manually, which would have the computer awake already, everything works fine, SuperDuper and Time Machine. If I let the machine go idle and wake it up with the keyboard, I see a bunch of these errors.

May 6, 2023 11:21 AM in response to Paul Collins

For anyone who has been experiencing this problem and has set their Time Machine destination to a Synology NAS product that is still running the legacy Synology DSM 6.x series operating system, there may be a fix (unconfirmed). Synology just released an update that includes the following fixes:

Fixed Issues
1. Fixed an issue where files shared via SMB may not be discoverable through macOS Ventura's Spotlight search.
2. Fixed an issue where files shared via AFP may not be discoverable through macOS Ventura's Spotlight search.

Here is the link to the Synology DSM release notes: https://www.synology.com/en-us/releaseNote/DSM

Again, I have not confirmed that the issue in this thread is addressed by this Synology update. The Spotlight file indexing service may be unrelated to a macOS Ventura machine losing its connection to network based Time Machine store after sleep.

I realize that people who use a Synology 6.x NAS as their Time Machine target may be a narrow audience. I will re-post once I confirm whether this is fixed or not.

May 13, 2023 11:31 AM in response to hilltop15

The Synology update did not fix this issue. While I only occasionally experience the "disk ejected improperly" error, I did see the error again after updating my Synology 6.x DSM operating system. I have my Time Machine backups on manual and I do not let my MBP sleep while performing a backup. But occasionally upon lid open/wake I will get the error.

Disk not ejected properly "Backups of ..." on Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.