Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture migration to Photos crash

When migrating my Aperture library to Photos, the app crashes after 5% done. I'm stuck there. I tried to repair authorizations in Terminal but no success, Photo crashes after 5% done... Is there a solution? My Aperture library has 43,000 photos.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 3:58 PM

My library had 225 Gigs and my MacBook Air had only 160 gigs spare so I moved the Aperture library to my MacMini witch had 700 gigs spare and I repaired permissions in Terminal. Finally, everything went fine. Thank-you so much for your help. It seems that if your Aperture library is located on an external drive, you're heading into problems.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 3:58 PM in response to MichelleT18

My library had 225 Gigs and my MacBook Air had only 160 gigs spare so I moved the Aperture library to my MacMini witch had 700 gigs spare and I repaired permissions in Terminal. Finally, everything went fine. Thank-you so much for your help. It seems that if your Aperture library is located on an external drive, you're heading into problems.

Oct 22, 2019 1:36 PM in response to Normand Despins

Hi Normand,

It sounds like you're having trouble migrating your library to Photos, and I want to help.

Which version of macOS are you currently running?

Here are the steps for importing to Photos:

Migrate Aperture libraries to the Photos app or Adobe Lightroom Classic - Apple Support

If it's stopping consistently in the same place it could be the content itself, a particular photo or video, causing the issue.

Let me know more about what's happening and I'll try to help.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Nov 4, 2019 8:16 AM in response to DavidDowell

Maybe it's a permission problem? Try this trick: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209594 . When done, try to repair your home folder permissions. For me, that was THE KEY to resolve my issue. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538 . I had a 225 Gigs Aperture library that crashed during migration. The diskutil trick resolved my problem.

Nov 3, 2019 10:23 PM in response to MichelleT18

I have this problem too.

~ 36,000 photos in Aperture.

I followed the recommended Apple procedure and created previews of all photos in Aperture after setting preferences to allow high quality previews.

import to Photos crashes consistently at about 74% done.

Have tried about 5 times. most recent try was just after I rebooted iMac to clear out all else going on.

??

Aperture migration to Photos crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.