Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

show hidden files and folders on Catalina

Before upgrading to Catalina, I used to quickly show hidden files/folders in finder by simultaneously pressing cmd + shift + .

After upgrading to Catalina, the shortcut no longer works.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 10:57 AM

14 replies

Nov 10, 2019 12:09 AM in response to VikingOSX

I noticed something weird today. It doesn't work for me whenever i use the period located next to the slash (above the spacebar,) even though this is how i've always done it. However, it does work if i replace it with the dot next to the 0 on the numpad; which i've never done before; out of habit i guess.

Can anyone confirm they have the same situation?

Nov 15, 2019 12:24 PM in response to tareq163

For those of you trying the CMD + SHIFT + Period you may need to use terminal first to refresh finders appetite. It's important that anyone attempting to do this do it just like this. As it worked for me.

First, open up Terminal and paste this. Then click Enter

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

Second, copy or type in the next row this. Then click Enter

killall Finder

This way has pretty much always been the way but for some reason it wasn't working for me. Some will tell you all you have to do is finish with killall but that's not right. You have to add Finder with it.

After adding the last part the hidden files should appear. Then hide them again in terminal by simply pasting

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

After that the CMD + SHIFT + . should work again.

Hope that helps some of you.

show hidden files and folders on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.