Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie catalina menu issues

I am having problems with iMovie on Catalina that I didn't have before. When it is open, it ruins drop down menus in its own application and other open applications.

Exporting a video - it is hard / impossible to select menu items in the splash screen.

Anyone else having these problems?

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 8:37 AM

This may work...

Go to System Preferences->Accessibility->Display and turn off both reduce transparency and increase contrast.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250714389?page=1

13 replies

Oct 18, 2019 5:53 PM in response to Adam Lippiatt

That sounds like a problem that several others have experienced. Try the solution that thesurreyfriends suggested in an earlier post in this thread. The only other solution that I have seen so far that has worked is to restore your previous operating system from your Time Machine backup. The link provided by thesurreyfriends contains posts from others who have had this problem plus several suggestions for solutions, but none worked except for the two mentioned above.

-- Rich

Oct 19, 2019 7:04 AM in response to Adam Lippiatt

I also have this issue that only occurs when iMovie is opened. After upgrading to Catalina, the drop down menus from the tool bar are hot pink horizontal lines that are un-readable. When reading many articles about "Preparing for Catalina" I did not see any preparation listed for iMovie. A similar issue happened when previously updating to a newer OS. I waited a considerable amount of time with iMovie unusable before a patch fixed the issue. I searched for an updated video driver with no luck.

Please help!

imovie catalina menu issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.