Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Greyed out options on Titles (specifically, "Add Freeze Frame")

As we know, iMovie titles dissolve. The only way to get one that doesn't is to "Freeze Frame" a frame of the regular titles.

But lately (I think maybe since upgrading to Catalina, which didn't go well) I have not been able to. When I right click, or click "Modify," on a regular video , I get the option to "Freeze Frame." But when I click on a title, those options become greyed out.

I have updated the app. No go. Then deleted it. Reinstalled it. Restarted my computer. Even deleted preferences. At this point I'm totally lost. The reinstalled version is 10.1.14 and my OS is Catalina 10.15.1. Any ideas?

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 4:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 5:19 PM

HI, PineappleQuestions,

You can only do a freeze frame on a video clip, not a title. That's why the Modify/Add Freeze Frame option is grayed out. Below are a couple of workarounds.

Overlay the title on a green background and take a screen shot of it from the preview screen. Drag the screen shot from your desktop into iMovie. Then overlay it onto your movie clip using the Green Screen feature. That would give you a static title.

If you want an animated title without fades, create a new project and overlay your title onto a green background. Then share it out and import it as a clip into your main project. Trim off the fades. Overlay it onto your movie clip in the timeline, using the Green Screen feature.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2020 5:19 PM in response to PineappleQuestions

HI, PineappleQuestions,

You can only do a freeze frame on a video clip, not a title. That's why the Modify/Add Freeze Frame option is grayed out. Below are a couple of workarounds.

Overlay the title on a green background and take a screen shot of it from the preview screen. Drag the screen shot from your desktop into iMovie. Then overlay it onto your movie clip using the Green Screen feature. That would give you a static title.

If you want an animated title without fades, create a new project and overlay your title onto a green background. Then share it out and import it as a clip into your main project. Trim off the fades. Overlay it onto your movie clip in the timeline, using the Green Screen feature.

-- Rich

Greyed out options on Titles (specifically, "Add Freeze Frame")

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.