Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

multiply language spellcheck

Hi guys,

I am looking for a setting where I can select multiple languages for spellcheck. I have this in my phone but I can't seem to find it in the system preferences of Catalina. I can only select one language.

ps..I am new to apple so my question might be a bit ignorant.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 1:02 PM

gino192 wrote:

can you explain to me where to find: (You can click the control to select a specific language or choose “Set up” at the end to specific only certain languages be included in spellcheck)?

That’s the pop-up menu that normally says “Automatic by language”.

If you click on it, it will be a list of all languages with “Set up” at the bottom.

Usually the only people who need that are usually people who work in very specific industries and often need to type words that are technically misspelled in English. These words may be close to the spelling of other words in other languages and get automatically corrected. If you find that spell checking thinks you are typing in some other language, you you might need to adjust that.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2019 1:02 PM in response to gino192

gino192 wrote:

can you explain to me where to find: (You can click the control to select a specific language or choose “Set up” at the end to specific only certain languages be included in spellcheck)?

That’s the pop-up menu that normally says “Automatic by language”.

If you click on it, it will be a list of all languages with “Set up” at the bottom.

Usually the only people who need that are usually people who work in very specific industries and often need to type words that are technically misspelled in English. These words may be close to the spelling of other words in other languages and get automatically corrected. If you find that spell checking thinks you are typing in some other language, you you might need to adjust that.

Oct 18, 2019 10:27 AM in response to gino192

Multi-language spell checking is the default on macOS. You can confirm this in System Preferences > Keyboard > Spelling. It should say “Automatic by Language”. That causes problems for some people. You can click the control to select a specific language or choose “Set up” at the end to specific only certain languages be included in spellcheck.

Oct 18, 2019 11:41 PM in response to etresoft

thanks! Ive done all that but as you can see some words still don't autocorrect (Ive should be corrected to I've). I also noticed that the autocorrection works better or worse in different programs. In pages all is fine for example..but in Whatsapp desktop its a disaster. English is my third language, Dutch and Spanish first. even though I have my computer set up in English. I suppose that could mean that my Mac sees English as my preferred language.

That said...following you instructions I think its more a software problem of the individual apps.

Thanks!

multiply language spellcheck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.