Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set both English and French Spellchecking?

Hi.

I'm trying to set my MacOS spellchecker so it accepts both English and French words, but without changing the keyboard layout when it's checking French. My iPhone and iPad already do this, but for some reason I can't figure it out on my Mac. I just want to be able to type with the same keyboard layout but for it to check French spelling as well (and not auto-correct French words with the English dictionary).

Any tips? Thanks.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 5:21 AM

On a Mac the keyboard layout normally does not matter for spellcheck. Instead you go to system settings > keyboard > text > spelling and use the Set Up item at the bottom of the language list to check boxes for the two languages you want and then set it to "automatic". How well it works you can only tell by testing.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2023 5:21 AM in response to Nat Harari

On a Mac the keyboard layout normally does not matter for spellcheck. Instead you go to system settings > keyboard > text > spelling and use the Set Up item at the bottom of the language list to check boxes for the two languages you want and then set it to "automatic". How well it works you can only tell by testing.

How to set both English and French Spellchecking?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.