Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where does fcpx store imported raw footage?

I imported a couple of hours of footage from my Sony HD camera for one project. Now I'm working on a new project, and can't find the footage to use one of the clips. When I search fcp folders, it only shows unlabeled icons that I can't click on (purple dots). The old fcp stored footage in a folder where you could see the actual imported clips. I've spent hours searching the internet and my computer. Just for the record, I hate fcpx and wish I'd never upgraded to it. The original was SO much easier to work with.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 11:50 AM

The clips go wherever you set up Library to put them. If you didn’t set an external location the default as Luis said is inside the library bundle. If you want to use them in another location, inside FCP select the library and in library properties in the inspector modify the storage location. Then use the consolidate function to move the media into that external location.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2019 11:50 AM in response to RWilder

The clips go wherever you set up Library to put them. If you didn’t set an external location the default as Luis said is inside the library bundle. If you want to use them in another location, inside FCP select the library and in library properties in the inspector modify the storage location. Then use the consolidate function to move the media into that external location.

Oct 18, 2019 10:36 AM in response to RWilder

By default, FCP X stores imported clips inside the library.

You can change the storage location for each library. If the location is outside the library then yes can easily use these files for other libraries. Avoid duplicating large files by selecting “leave in place” when importing-in that case the library just points to where the files are instead copying them.

So in your present situation, you can:

a) Choose a folder, modify the old library storage location, and Consolidate (this takes all the media and puts it inside the designated location); then import the desired files to the new library (ising “leave in place” to avoid duplication)

b) Open the two libraries at the same time in FCP C and option drag to copy the clips you want (if the libraries are in the same drive, this “magically” doesn’t duplicate the used space due to something called “hard links”).

Oct 18, 2019 10:40 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you, but I still don't know what to do. I can still see all my old FCP imported clips in the library folder on my Mac, but the new FCPX uses weird purple icons, so I have no idea what's what. And your answer didn't explain which folder to "choose," how to "modify the old library storage location," whether or not the clips will show up as clips or still those purple icons, etc. I believe you are referring to opening the project library within FCP, not the library folder on my mac. I've already done that but the clip I want isn't there, thus the days of searching every folder on my computer.

Oct 18, 2019 10:50 AM in response to RWilder

Oh! Wait... I hadn’t realized that you meant the OLD structure of project and event folders.

Please tell us what versions of macOS and of FCP X you have.

It is possible to reuse the movie files but if you want to reuse your old projects from versions 10.0.* it will need some juggling with intermediate versions.

FWIW the current model using libraries was introduced in 10.1 about six years ago. Versions up to 10.2.3 had the ability to convert the old folders to libraries but that is no longer possible with versions since 10.3. Also as versions progressed so did their system requirements.

Oct 18, 2019 10:54 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I'm using FCPX 10.4.6 on mac 10.13.6 and I'm trying to find a clip I imported last month that I didn't use in that first project, but need for this second project. All I want to know is whether FCP hides clips in those purple icons that I can't open or do anything with or whether there's a hiding place where the actual raw footage is stored that I can import from.

I'm now resorting to find and reimporting the original clip, but having spent so many days trying to get this answer, I still want to know for future reference.

Oct 18, 2019 12:00 PM in response to RWilder

You can either go into the library bundle in the Finder and copy the file out of it, or do as I suggested, set up the library for external media and use the consolidate function to move the files out of the library. If you select a storage location in the same drive as the library. The process is instantaneous.

it’s all moot now of course because you’ve already reimported the file.

Oct 18, 2019 1:22 PM in response to RWilder

To see what is inside the library all’d have to do is control-click it in the Finder and choose Show Package Contents... I realize you have already reimported but it may be helpful in the future. That is not just true for Final Cut, it is true for many other situations. A library is essentially just a folder with all the stuff in subfolders inside it.

where does fcpx store imported raw footage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.