Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 11 pro camera won't focus

I'm on my second brand new Iphone 11 Pro and this one is having the same problem as the first. The camera won't focus. I can hear the lens' buzzing trying to focus and screen appears to shake.

I've got a Quadlock case on it and never dropped (either phone). The first issue happened within a week of getting the phone and Apple replaced immediately. Two weeks later and my new phone is doing the same thing!!

Forced reset, latest IOS, etc. done. The problem occurs on all camera apps (Halide, Camera+, Facebook, Instagram, etc...).

Help!

Mike

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 5:23 AM

Had this issue yesterday after long ride to see my daughter. Given what has happened the mount is effectively useless until a fix is available or I find an alternative solution. Very disappointing.

I've registered on the link provided meanwhile some answers

• Model and year of your motorcycle - Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja 2006
  • The type of riding you mainly do (eg: off-road/commuting/touring) - Road
  • KM's you've travelled since installing your mount - 400km
  • Average distance each ride - Only done two, first about 60km the next a long one which probably resulted in the issue
  • Model of phone - iPhone 11Pro
  • Photo of your mount installed on your bike. - No photo but it is a stem mount

Regards

John

67 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2020 5:23 AM in response to MarkusL

Had this issue yesterday after long ride to see my daughter. Given what has happened the mount is effectively useless until a fix is available or I find an alternative solution. Very disappointing.

I've registered on the link provided meanwhile some answers

• Model and year of your motorcycle - Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja 2006
  • The type of riding you mainly do (eg: off-road/commuting/touring) - Road
  • KM's you've travelled since installing your mount - 400km
  • Average distance each ride - Only done two, first about 60km the next a long one which probably resulted in the issue
  • Model of phone - iPhone 11Pro
  • Photo of your mount installed on your bike. - No photo but it is a stem mount

Regards

John

Jun 1, 2020 1:25 PM in response to Daylindafung

Thanks for getting in touch, we're sorry to hear about the damage to your phone.

Whilst damage to smartphones from mounting them on motorbikes is not a common problem we have had a small number of customers report the issue which we are taking very seriously. As the number of affected customers is very small (less than 1% of our motorcycle mount users) and not all bikes cause damage we are doing everything we can to collect as much data as possible to help to identify the root cause.

Here’s some more detailed information from our engineering team: 

The damage seems to be isolated to the camera image stabilisation mechanism of the phone and appears to be caused by the high level of vibration experienced on some motorbikes. Certain combinations of phone and motorbike seem more susceptible than others but we are still gathering information and do not have a complete picture at this time.

While this issue is not unique to Quad Lock (as we have seen reports of the same problem on other brands of phone mounts), we understand the frustration it is causing our customers and have allocated every resource we have to help understand the issue and develop a solution to the problem. The good news is that the design we are working on will be compatible with all existing Quad Lock motorbike mounts so once it’s available it will bolt on to your existing mount.

We hope to have a product available for testing mid 2020 so if you would like to be involved with the testing phase please let us know and we will add you to the list. 

What can be done to speed up development? If you can share information regarding your setup it will help us diagnose the problem in-depth and speed up development. If you can provide the following information that would be greatly appreciated:

• Original order number
  • Model and year of your motorcycle
  • The type of riding you mainly do (eg: off-road/commuting/touring)
  • KM's you've travelled since installing your mount
  • Average distance each ride
  • Model of phone
  • Photo of your mount installed on your bike.

So what now? If your phone is still under warranty the manufacturer may be able to repair the camera module under warranty. If you do get the camera repaired, we do not recommend mounting the phone on your motorbike (with any brand of mount) to prevent the damage recurring. 

Unfortunately we can't offer any suggestions other than to wait for our dampening solution at this time. We understand that's not acceptable for everyone so if you feel that the product does not meet your needs you can return the product for a refund. 

Again we are sorry for the inconvenience. If you could help by sending through the requested info above that would be great. 

If you are interested in assist with testing the vibration dampening solution when it’s available please signup to this list.

Kind Regards,

Dec 24, 2019 11:00 PM in response to Mike20082

Hi, Apparently I had the same problem. I just sent the whole phone to Apple, and I have to wait for a few days. This happened after i took a road trip on my bike. I am hooked to an SP connect system and its also locked in my handlebars. I suspect the new iphone camera sensors CANNOT take vibration. I had no issues with my iphone X, 6 and the older versions..

I am wondering if Apple has an answer for this. That the new stabilisation/focus sensors are way too sensitive to vibration, if thats the case then I will have to change my whole mounting system and use a cheaper phone for my GPS (waze) usage.. I cannot be risking an iphone pro max 11 for this.. because that phone alone is the price of a macbook!!!.

If anybody gets some info from Apple. Feel free to share.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Dec 24, 2019 11:49 PM in response to Patsaw

Yeah.... I have the same set up.

the camera is a great camera, but I want a phone that is robust as the apple phones in the past. I’m pretty active and hate the fact that I can’t use this phone like my others. I wish I hadn’t bought the iPhone 11, and just bought a new iPhone 7, or something that wasn’t such a brittle piece of ****. I tell everyone to not buy the iPhone 11. If I can’t do the same things I used to be able to do with my old phone, then what’s the point in upgrading.

boooo apple, you let me down. Probably won’t buy a new one again. I’ll go back to the old iPhones, or just find an android that doesn’t break.

ive had an iPhone since 2010 at least... I won’t be buying a new one.

Dec 26, 2019 6:37 AM in response to Mike20082

I probably will have to used the old iphone 7plus lol. Not gonna use my 11. No choice.. money already spent, luckily i have one spare.. not gonna risk it. since you had to send it back twice.. its clearly bike vibration. So I guess only when i need the gps only will I bring the spare out and latch it on the bike.. what sucks is I now have to buy another case adaptor for my older iphone.. more money spent. :P

Dec 28, 2019 12:07 PM in response to Mike20082

Same issue here, but when the tiniest amount of water was added to the mix. I’m on my second phone with issues and was told by the Apple salesperson “this is supposed to be the best iPhone yet when it comes to dealing with vibration and water resistance”. My X never had this issue either. Now I have to go get my phone repaired, I guess. Not fun having to sign back into dozens of accounts and confirm the phone is mine if I have to replace it again.

Jan 8, 2020 5:53 AM in response to Mike20082

I just picked my phone up the other day to replace my bricked 7. I noticed the first few photos were blurry, thinking it was motion. I was too busy to follow up, wish I had. I’m on vacation now for 3 weeks and attempted to photograph something and it is not focusing. Frustrating. I assume it was bad right out of the box. I don’t ride or do anything that would affect it.

Jan 15, 2020 7:46 PM in response to Mike20082

same same same! I’m on my third phone. Great service with out question and replaced my phones. Now I have figured out that if I open the app and close it a few times and restart the phone it will eventually start to focus properly. It is not that reliable for a fix though. It doesn’t always work. Has anyone messaged rock form about this problem?

Jan 16, 2020 1:00 AM in response to Michael_A82

Oh. Lol.

yep I provided heaps of feedback to them. Bike type, kms travelled, by aid types etc.

I contacted them a few days ago and they said:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your message.

Our team are currently working on a resolution to dampen the vibrations, we hope to have this released as soon as possible. We really appreciate the information we've received as this has helped our team to design this accordingly.

Feb 11, 2020 3:54 AM in response to Mike20082

Same here. IPhone 11 Pro with Quad lock on a motorbike. Camera vibrates continuously when trying to focus on 1x and 2x mode. First repair they replaced the camera unit. Happened again. Second repair they replaced with a new iphone. Happened again. Third repair they hard reset and told me it could be a software issue. It’s happening again. No issue previously With iPhone X. Thinking of accepting to not use the camera in exchange for using the phone for GPS on my bike. Which makes it an expensive trade-off.

iphone 11 pro camera won't focus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.