Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Spaces Between Clips After Exporting

When I try to export my movie, it adds spaces between each clip. I've tried grouping the clip before export, it doesn't help. There are no spaces between any of the clips, so I don't know what's causing the problem.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 12:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 8:25 PM

First, go to Preferences, to the Playback section and turn OFF background rendering. Do NOT ever turn it back on.

Next, select the Library in the browser, and go to the File menu and select "Delete All Generated Library Files".

In the resulting window, delete ALL render files.

Quit FCPX.

Hold both the Option and Command keys together while you launch FCPX.

In the dialog box that pops up, tell it to delete all preferences files. This is perfectly safe, no Libraries or anything get touched.

See how it exports then.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2019 8:25 PM in response to OutRagousGameR_

First, go to Preferences, to the Playback section and turn OFF background rendering. Do NOT ever turn it back on.

Next, select the Library in the browser, and go to the File menu and select "Delete All Generated Library Files".

In the resulting window, delete ALL render files.

Quit FCPX.

Hold both the Option and Command keys together while you launch FCPX.

In the dialog box that pops up, tell it to delete all preferences files. This is perfectly safe, no Libraries or anything get touched.

See how it exports then.

Oct 19, 2019 1:42 AM in response to Alchroma

I don't think its a problem with the new update, as I was having this problem before I updated.

Most clips are 1920 x 1080 with 23.98p. There are two clips that are 642 x 606, one of them has 29.97p. I don't know if this matters, but I have title cards and detached audio as well.

I believe the project is 1080p HD 23.98p, Stereo

I didn't change any setting to the Export, so it's "Source - Apple ProRes 422". Color space is "Standard - Rec. 709" and Audio Format is "Linear PCM".

Oct 20, 2019 8:34 AM in response to OutRagousGameR_

Preferences are things like how to layout the window panes upon launch, favorite transition appointments, things that can be easily rebuilt from scratch. Sometimes they can become corrupted and cause issues.

Background rendering simply starts to render the opened project timelines with FCP has been idle for the set time in the preferences. Render files can become corrupt and cause issues. Most Mac's don't need everything rendered for playback that's good enough to edit with. So why use up all that extra disk space, and why risk the issues it can cause? And, again, render files can be remade from scratch without effecting anything.

Adding Spaces Between Clips After Exporting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.