Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Move Files To Mac HD!

Hi there,

As part of the recent software update, all of my folders and their files were moved to a folder called 'Security' for some strange reason. That's okay but I would much rather have them where they were before - under the Mac HD folder but the system will not allow me to move any files or folders from the Security folder to Mac HD as i get the grey circle with a line through it.

I have looked at permissions etc but nothing allows me to put the folders under Mac HD - please could anyone help?

I am using OS 10.15 on an iMac.

Many thanks in advance

Nick

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 12:19 PM

With macOS 10.15 Catalina you cannot store any files on the root of the drive because it is a system area now mounted as read-only after Catalina is installed. This is a new enhanced security feature. You should never store your files on the root of the drive anyway. Everything should be stored within the Users folder or on external storage.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2019 12:19 PM in response to Huggy71

With macOS 10.15 Catalina you cannot store any files on the root of the drive because it is a system area now mounted as read-only after Catalina is installed. This is a new enhanced security feature. You should never store your files on the root of the drive anyway. Everything should be stored within the Users folder or on external storage.

Cannot Move Files To Mac HD!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.