Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens if I delete a backup from my phone?

I currently have a backup on my phone thats taking up 28 gigabytes of data. If i delete it will i lose everything? or will it just stop storing copies of everything on my phone? i tried to figure it out myself but i’ve been searching and i can’t really find an answer as to what that will delete. I want to keep and of my photos and data but i dont want that 28 gigabytes clogging up my phone if it doesnt have to. Also what is the difference between an icloud backup and just a backup, or are they the same?

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 9:49 AM

Backups don't take up any space on your phone; they only take up space on iCloud or on your computer depending on which you backup to. See: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you delete a backup it won't delete anything from your phone (and won't free up any storage space on your phone). See the following for information about deleting an iCloud backup: Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

If you are low on space on your phone, you might want to consider turning on iCloud Photos along with its Optimize Storage Option. The photos will be synced to iCloud and if your phone is low on space it will automatically change some or all of the photos on your phone to space-saving versions. There is more information in Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Note that if you turn on iCloud Photos on your phone, the photos will not be stored on iCloud twice (e.g., in an iCloud Backup and in iCloud Photos); they will only be in iCloud Photos.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2019 9:49 AM in response to Olivia.m.04

Backups don't take up any space on your phone; they only take up space on iCloud or on your computer depending on which you backup to. See: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you delete a backup it won't delete anything from your phone (and won't free up any storage space on your phone). See the following for information about deleting an iCloud backup: Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

If you are low on space on your phone, you might want to consider turning on iCloud Photos along with its Optimize Storage Option. The photos will be synced to iCloud and if your phone is low on space it will automatically change some or all of the photos on your phone to space-saving versions. There is more information in Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Note that if you turn on iCloud Photos on your phone, the photos will not be stored on iCloud twice (e.g., in an iCloud Backup and in iCloud Photos); they will only be in iCloud Photos.

What happens if I delete a backup from my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.