Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since I cant delete the backup on phone I am trading in, will it delete when I ERASE all content and settings?

Same backup is on my XR and the new 14 I just upgraded to and when I try to delete the backup from the XR it wont let me.

Tried after soft reset etc.

There appears to be no way to delete a backup that is on a phone using the cloud to delete it.

If I cant delete it on the phone will it delete itself from taking space from my cloud when I erase all content and settings when I prepare it to send to Verizon for the trade-in?

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 8:21 AM

You can’t delete the backup while the process of transferring the backup is on, but you should be able to delete it after the backup has been restored.

Did you try deleting the old backup on the new phone? When I upgraded to my XR, I was able to delete the backup for my 5S on the new phone. All of your iCloud backups should appear on all devices that are signed into your Apple ID/iCloud account.

Settings>Your name>iCloud>Manage Account Storage>Backups>Your Old Phone>Delete backup.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2023 8:21 AM in response to randyaaaa

You can’t delete the backup while the process of transferring the backup is on, but you should be able to delete it after the backup has been restored.

Did you try deleting the old backup on the new phone? When I upgraded to my XR, I was able to delete the backup for my 5S on the new phone. All of your iCloud backups should appear on all devices that are signed into your Apple ID/iCloud account.

Settings>Your name>iCloud>Manage Account Storage>Backups>Your Old Phone>Delete backup.

Feb 11, 2023 7:57 AM in response to randyaaaa

When you erase the phone, the backup has no effect on the process. Once the phone is erased, the backup will still be in iCloud, but no longer appear on the phone. You want that backup so that you can restore it when you get the new phone.

Just so you know, the backup is not stored on the phone and you only seeing it in iCloud backups and storage.

Feb 11, 2023 7:58 AM in response to Demo

Let me explain again please, I got a new iPhone 14 yesterday and I use the Quickstart process to change phones from the XR to the 14 and now there is a backup on each phone and they are the same size I assume it’s the same back up but now it’s on both phones and both backups are in the cloud taking space in the cloud and I want to delete the back up on the phone that I no longer use (XR) that I am about to erase and send back to Verizon as part of this trade-in process.

When I try to erase the backup on the old phone in the settings iCloud section on the phone it says I can’t do it at this time and I’ve been trying for almost 24 hours.

So if I am unable to delete the backup on the old phone thus removing it from the cloud and freeing up that space I am wondering if it will delete itself when I erase that phone.

Feb 11, 2023 8:04 AM in response to randyaaaa

No it will not delete itself from iCloud where the backup is stored. It will still be there in iCloud. It is not on the phone.

Did you try turning off the iCloud backup in Settings>Your name>iCloud>iCloud Backup>Off on the old phone and then try deleting the backup in Settings>Your name>iCloud>Manage Account Storage>Backups?

Feb 11, 2023 8:28 AM in response to Demo

Good idea, I did not think of that, I will try that thank you.

The account thinks the transfer is still going on obviously, I don’t know how to change that if this doesn’t work, I’m going to soft reset restart both phones if this doesn’t work and other than that I guess I’ll just have to contact Apple before I send it in or it will permanently take up that space I bet.

I can’t look at the phone right now it’s my wife’s and she has it but I don’t remember seeing both backups on her new phone in the iCloud section of settings, only the one back up that’s on that phone so I’m not sure where to look for it.

Feb 11, 2023 8:32 AM in response to randyaaaa

Unless you see a message that the transfer is still taking place, or the backup is still being restored, then it shouldn’t be still transferring.

That backup for your old phone will be taking up iCloud storage until you delete it.

Look at my previous post to see how to get where you can see all of your backups.

Since I cant delete the backup on phone I am trading in, will it delete when I ERASE all content and settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.