Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WhatsApp - no iCloud chat backup found after changing phone number

I needed to move my WhatsApp account from one phone to another. First, I created a backup of the chats on iCloud using the process within the WhatsApp settings. Then, I followed their instructions to change my phone number to the new one. All went well - until I installed the app on the new phone, and tried to restore my chats from the backup - whereupon it told me that no backup could be found.

To troubleshoot, I changed my number BACK to the original one. My chats are still there on the old device, so I backed up again and tried the phone number change again. Same result.

How can I get WhatsApp on the new phone to find the backup I have made in iCloud? I don't want to use Dr.Fone or any other software (so please don't anyone try to sell me some). I just want to find out why I can't access the backup, and fix the issue.

iPhone 5s, iOS 11

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 3:28 PM

SOLUTION

To help anyone else who has this problem, here's the solution I found through a combination of luck and guesswork: both the old phone and the new phone seemingly have to have the same name. When I fixed that, the iCloud backup restore worked like a dream.

No idea whether that's an iCloud glitch or a WhatsApp glitch - but setting the phones to the same name seems to resolve it.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2019 3:28 PM in response to haveronjones

SOLUTION

To help anyone else who has this problem, here's the solution I found through a combination of luck and guesswork: both the old phone and the new phone seemingly have to have the same name. When I fixed that, the iCloud backup restore worked like a dream.

No idea whether that's an iCloud glitch or a WhatsApp glitch - but setting the phones to the same name seems to resolve it.

Oct 19, 2019 3:53 PM in response to haveronjones

instead of chiding me rather condescendingly for an inappropriate post, I would have apologised.

If you see that as condescending, I disagree. I never said it was inappropriate, I suggested it was in the wrong community..

Had you revealed in your op that Whatsapp had already absolved themselves of any responsibility, I would not have made the suggestion I did.

WhatsApp - no iCloud chat backup found after changing phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.