Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't drag mp3 files to itunes music folder

I recently setup a new installation here and installed latest itunes, but now when I want to go and drag and mp3 file from my computer to an itunes music folder that was already there it wont let me, I just see the red forbidden circle that wont allow me to drag it there. I tried going to files and then add to library, browsed and selected the mp3 file but it was notstill being added.

What to to what to do? :(

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 9:43 AM

12 replies

Oct 19, 2019 12:10 PM in response to Salvida

Was just reading this post where I see others with the same problem where you have also been posting

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8052599?page=1

And like him I am on windows 10, and like he said it worked fine back with windows 7, it's exactly the same for me. I tried to install the desktop version of itunes but it wont let me do that on win 10, have to install and use the app from the MS Store.

Oct 19, 2019 3:47 PM in response to Salvida

I'm doing my be best to imagine what you might be doing that would be similar to what you've done before, but could result in the issues described, on the additional assumption that iTunes is correctly installed on your computer. I, for instance, don't have any trouble adding media files to my library using the current version of iTunes, but there are places I could attempt to drop files on an open iTunes window that would be invalid.

The standard method with iTunes has been to add media to the library, then sync that to the device. At some point it seems iTunes has supported direct drag and drop from the file system to the device, indeed that was specifically added for adding apps to a device post iTunes 12.7, however it isn't clear that Apple ever meant for it to be used for audio files. The fact that it may have worked could have been a bug rather than an intended feature, and that it now doesn't could mean that bug has been fixed.

This comment from that thread appears to be salient:

I had the same issue, and I just STOPPED running itunes as admin, now it works. 😕

Which suggests that whether or not you can drag and drop direct from the file system to the device depends on which security account is being used for the operation. Either way you are using drag and drop from Explorer to device, rather than Explorer to iTunes, or iTunes to device, in a way that isn't explicitly catered for, and not one that normally comes to mind. The Microsoft Store version of iTunes will likely use different security accounts for operations as store apps are intended to be sandboxed for greater security. Should you wish to run the old school version of iTunes you can find direct installation links at the bottom of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates - Apple Community. Uninstall the store version first.

tt2

Oct 19, 2019 11:52 AM in response to turingtest2

Sorry this makes no sense at all, are you saying that all the things I could do in windows 7 like add my mp3 music and create playlists for them is no longer possible with the itunes app for windows 10 ?

Cause thats what I been doing before windows 10, and of course mp3 files are valid files, it simply converts them so they can be played. Also the folder I was going to add it to was one I created with itunes back when I was with windows 7, and then was synced to my iphone. Also im not sure what you mean with remote library, I have always been able to drag files to the folders that are on my iphone, always been like that, it's how you add your music. Same when I add custom made ringtones from my computer to itunes, is also no longer possible

Hopefully someone has a better explanation for what you said makes no sense.

Oct 21, 2019 11:42 PM in response to turingtest2

Thx I will try and see if I can run the desktop version from your link, it wouldnt let me when I went through the regular download page and told me to get it from the MS Store. I had to re-install windows 10 because of some conflicts unrelated to this so im setting things up again. I'll try one more time and install the app version from the MS Store and if still not working I will check your link. As for the drag file it worked just fine lasst week when I did it when I was still on windows 7, and I always used that drag method the years I been using iphone. But thx again and sorry if I sounded a little angry or upset in my previous posts, I know you try your best to help.

Update: I just plugged in the iphone and then the Itunes app gave me the famous error code -54 it cannot sync my phone :( Will try restart the iphone or my computer and see if it helps.

Oct 22, 2019 9:02 AM in response to Salvida

Drop a copy one of these files into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder inside the iTunes Media folder. Is it added to the library or moved to a Not Added folder? If the latter that means there is something about this file that iTunes really doesn't like. Examples can be invalid internal structure, a mismatched file extension or security permissions problems. Whatever the issue is it should be a clear indicator that the files are the problem rather than the app.

tt2

Oct 22, 2019 11:36 AM in response to turingtest2

Tested with the desktop version but still wont let me drag, I see the mp3 file came over in a folder somehow called album, the one you see on the list on the left side before you click your iphone icon at the top, I guess it a matter on syncing then, just dunno how I get it from there and to an already existing playlist on my phone. I might call apple support to get help with that tomorrow, might be easier.

Btw. do you know why I keep being signed out of the forum after some some time, when I come back here to write my reply im always signed out and have to login again, I already have it set to remember me so not sure why it keeps signing me out.

Can't drag mp3 files to itunes music folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.