Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pink Boot Screen after Catalina upgrade.

I have upgraded my 2018 mac mini to MacOS Catalina and now have pink boot screen every time the computer starts. The OS and all the applications appear to work ok after startup. I have tried the alt+command+R+P at boot to clear NVRAM which I found on an old forum post which worked on the next restart. But at the next cold boot I was back to the pink boot screen. Has anyone else come across this?

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 5:26 PM

Same issue here - except the pink screen continues beyond the initial login.

Clearing the NVRAM (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204063) worked briefly - the login screen displayed in full colour, however once I entered my password and the desktop displayed, it reverted back to the pinkish/purple hue.

Booting in Safe Mode had no effect.

This is with a brand new Mac mini (unboxed this morning), which worked fine until the Catalina upgrade.

Switching monitors and cables (with another working High Sierra Mac mini) has no effect.

Will be downgrading next and let Catalina age on the shelf for six months...

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2019 5:26 PM in response to nms69

Same issue here - except the pink screen continues beyond the initial login.

Clearing the NVRAM (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204063) worked briefly - the login screen displayed in full colour, however once I entered my password and the desktop displayed, it reverted back to the pinkish/purple hue.

Booting in Safe Mode had no effect.

This is with a brand new Mac mini (unboxed this morning), which worked fine until the Catalina upgrade.

Switching monitors and cables (with another working High Sierra Mac mini) has no effect.

Will be downgrading next and let Catalina age on the shelf for six months...

Nov 8, 2019 5:22 PM in response to nms69

I fixed my full time pink screen issue, here is the solution.

The reason it is having an issue, is after the update, the signal being sent is YCbCr instead of RGB like your monitors are expecting. Some people with panels like mine will get pink, others likely get no signal recognized. This script works by setting up a profile for your specific monitor, and having it be forced to be RGB, if you connect it to another model monitor with the same issue, this process will need to be repeated for that monitor as well.

1. Download this script: https://gist.github.com/adaugherity/7435890
  2. Place the patch-edid.rb file into the /Users/ directory
  3. Run this command in Terminal: ruby /Users/patch-edid.rb
  4. Take note of the DisplayProductID and DisplayVendorID file names. These will vary based on your monitor.
  5. Move the output file named "DisplayProductID-XXXX" from /Users/~username/ to the /Users/ directory
  6. Reboot your Mac in Recovery Mode by pressing Command+R as soon as you see the Apple logo after rebooting
  7. Open Disk Utility in Recover Mode
  8. Check to see if "Macintosh HD" is mounted. If it isn't you will need to mount it before proceeding.
  9. Exit Disk Utility
  10. Open Terminal in Recovery Mode
  11. Change to the Overrides directory via "cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/"
  12. Create the folder with "mkdir DisplayVendorID-XXXX".
  13. Run this command in Terminal (make sure to include spaces):
  14. "cp /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/DisplayProductID-XXXX /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-XXXX/"
  15. Restart computer and the monitor should now be in RGB mode.
  16. Check to make sure it has taken effect by going to your "system preferences" and clicking "displays". If your display name at the top bar does not include "forced RGB mode (EDID override)", it did not take effect.

Hope this helps everyone! if you have issues look in the comments on the script page, the author is active.

My machine is a Mac mini (2018) i7 64GB 1TB. My monitor is a 28 inch Hannspree HF289H monitor

Oct 20, 2019 12:40 AM in response to den.thed

The display is a Acer 27inch running QHD resolution screen connected directly with 1m HDMI cable. This has never been an issue before upgrade to Catalina. I shutdown the Mac to try and do my bit for the planet however small. I have had a support session with Apple and they have tried removing some startup items, but alas this has made no difference.

Oct 22, 2019 6:07 AM in response to nms69

I have the same problem. It lasts a few seconds and only during startup. My monitor is a Benq BL2420PT, running at 2560 x 1440 (standard resolution), connected to HDMI port with top quality ultra high speed cable, but I'm positive it has something to do with macOS Catalina 10.15 upgrade, as this issue began the same day it was installed on my Mac Mini 2018.

Oct 22, 2019 7:21 AM in response to Old_Balboa

“It lasts a few seconds and only during startup.”

So how is that problem? You might as well say you’re unable to surf the Internet or check mail during startup. Of course they won’t work during startup.

Startup means not yet ready. Ignore the brief blinking, coloring etc. and await the logon screen. At that point (and not before) Catalina’s ready. Login and enjoy...

Oct 22, 2019 10:12 AM in response to hcsitas

Well It indicates that there is something not quite right with the OS if the issue wasn't there before upgrading. And the concern is this could potentially manifest into other issues later down the line. So for information I have had several support calls with Apple and they are just as stumped. The best they have been able to offer is to clean install the OS which isn't really ideal as I have quite a few apps installed. From my own trouble-shooting I have worked out that it is related to NVRAM. If you boot while holding alt+cmd+R+P then the machine boots with the usual black logo screen, but at the next reboot it is back to pink. I am just putting this out there to see if others are having this issue. Any ideas of things to check would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 22, 2019 12:18 PM in response to nms69

It indicates nothing of the sort except that startup in a minute number of cases is a bit more colorful. Not slow, not noisy, colorful. Furthermore, your concerns about future issues have now been transferred to Apple who’ve appreciated your doing so and will presumably take them into account if relevant and at the appropriate priority .

Fact remains that the functionality of your machine has not changed materially. In fact if you allow it complete startup, functionality has actually been enhanced. You’ve done your bit with reporting. Now login and get on with using your machine, that’s what matters most to both to you and also Apple.

Bottom line (also shortest): Enjoy...

Oct 25, 2019 12:03 AM in response to hcsitas

THis is a dismissive and not helpful response - there clearly is a problem that may have other less "benign" implications going forward.

My Mac Mini 2018 has this "Pink sceen" issue after upgrade to Catalina, and I've just had my first (and only) anomalous "hang" on waking from sleep (just the wallpaper showing, no dock showing, no menu bar) - had hold down the the power button to restart.

Never happened once under Mojave in over 6 months of use.

So please be more repsectful and mindful of other posting.

Oct 25, 2019 12:17 AM in response to cbfw22

As of now, it’s related to the make/model/resolution/connection type of the monitor. Unless the monitor is Mac-certified and/or you involve the monitor manufacturer meaningfully, they remain suspect. Upgrading to Catalina may only have brought latent bugs to surface, as it appears to be in your case.

I do hope the problem gets fixed but it’ll take more than forum-punching Apple (feel free to post a separate thread with details). Good luck.

Oct 25, 2019 1:57 AM in response to hcsitas

It seems that this is an issue that is affecting mainly mac mini users. I posted to see what steps that have been attempted by others to try and resolve this. I have had support from Apple but this has baffled them too. The best they can offer is to either reinstall or wait for a patch. To be honest I have quite a bit of software installed and I am not prepared to clean install everything just for a pink boot screen. I have had absolutely no issue prior to the upgrade and the pink boot screen is not affecting the performance of the machine. I am convinced that there is a config setting in NVRAM at preboot that is causing this. I will continue to dig around and post when I find a resolution. Thanks to everyone that has responded.

Pink Boot Screen after Catalina upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.