Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp stalled when downloading Windows support software

Hello

I am trying to install a Boot Camp partition oy mu late 2012 27" imac running Mojave 14.6. Boot Camp 6.1 should handle the 3 TB fusion drive on my imac. I have done a clean install of Mojave 14.6, cleared all of the Time Machine issues, managed to create a Win 10 bootable USB, have instructed Boot Camp to create a 152 byte partition for windows.

Everything seems to go fine except that the software stalls (over 24 hours now!) when downloading the support software, I had previously downloaded it using the Action menu item, but Boot Camp seems to download it once more.

Upgrading to Catalina did not help. I reverted to Mojave to keep old 32 bit apps running on my iMac.

The "Stop" button is enabled and works, so I know the Assistant has not frozen.

Any hints to proceed would be appreciated.

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 7:20 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 20, 2019 7:16 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for your reply. Isn't this issue fixed by the Boot Camp patches found in Mojave 10.14.5 and 10.14.6? https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2007?locale=en_US

I forgot to mention that the DiskUtil were run, and the PRAM was reset prior to my attempts to install a Boot Camp partition.

Furthermore, I also attempted an install under Catalina and ran into the same issue.

Oct 20, 2019 7:42 AM in response to jean-pierrefromtoronto

jean-pierrefromtoronto wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Isn't this issue fixed by the Boot Camp patches found in Mojave 10.14.5 and 10.14.6? https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2007?locale=en_US

No. The Bootcamp updates correct an issue with the exFAT OSXRESERVED partition. They do not change the 2012 iMac compatibility. APFS does not support the 'sandwich' layout that CoreStorage supported. If you must have Windows, I suggest using macOS Sierra.

I forgot to mention that the DiskUtil were run, and the PRAM was reset prior to my attempts to install a Boot Camp partition.

This may not be useful under macOS Mojave/Catalina.

Furthermore, I also attempted an install under Catalina and ran into the same issue.

Yes, you will.

Bootcamp stalled when downloading Windows support software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.