Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringtones and Catalina

I just added a ringtone to my iPhone using this bizarre technique:

"Add ringtone to device, macOS 10.5 [sic] Catalina

1. Connect your device to your Mac, and open the general tab for it in Finder.
  2. Drag and drop your .m4r file from another open Finder window to the general tab."

I got this from here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-12051

It worked but I can't believe this is the official handling for Ringtones. Where are my custom ringtones listed in Catalina?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 9:09 PM

25 replies

Dec 13, 2019 8:12 AM in response to Campus Malt Shop

This was all very helpful.

Just in case readers are wondering where their Tones are located in Catalina, here's how I found my file:

Music > Preferences > Files > you'll see your music media folder location displayed.

Navigate to that folder and you'll (by default) see your "Tones" folder among the album folders.

I dragged the folder onto the General tab in Finder and - while it doesn't give you any indication of success - the tones showed up immediately in Settings > Sounds > Ringtones.

Feb 1, 2020 7:02 PM in response to Hopesy

I'm on 10.15.3 and this is how it worked for me:

You can't use Apple Music or DRM protected. Select any other track that you've added to the Music app.

Right click on it>>get information>>options. Set start and stop times. No more than 30 seconds. Check OK.

Go to the Music drop down>>preferences>>Files>>import settings. Choose AAC encoder high quality.

Go to File>>Convert>>Create AAC version. This will create a new version of the song in the music app. (30 seconds)

Go to the original track (get information>>options) and uncheck the start and stop boxes to reset it back the way it was.

Right click on the new copy you created and click "show in Finder". A finder window will open.

Delete the new copy you created in the music app but don't send it to the trash yet.

In Finder change the file extension from .m4a to m4r.

Connect your phone to the Mac and open the General tab in Finder. You may want to right click on the finder icon and select "New Finder Window" so that you have two finder windows open.

Now you should be able to drag that m4r file from one finder window into the general tab in the other finder window that shows your iPhone.

Now it should show up in your ring tones.

This is such a pain in the butt. Apple really makes this difficult!

Feb 1, 2020 8:36 PM in response to Hopesy

Are you using apc our Mac to sync? Also I find problems with transferring tones when using wifi connection.

I connect to my Mac with the lighting cable, convert mp3 fillers with a ringtone app (in the Mac), and then drag the files to the finder page of my iPhone wait a few seconds and drop them in. And as if by magic💫 my ringtone is on my phone.

❗️ One question is:

How do I have a ringtone as an alarm tone played quiet? Even if I create a quiet tone (using Audacity) it plays a full volume. I don’t want to change the volume on the phone every time I use an alarm. I use the bed time alarm for certain things but i want to Have other alarms.

Feb 2, 2020 1:48 PM in response to Campus Malt Shop

On 10.15.3, I managed to transfer .m4r files to my iPhone by using the Music app (not Finder). Upon opening the Music app, on the left hand side should be your iPhone under the 'Devices' heading (when plugged in using a cable). Click on your device, then find the .m4r file from another Finder window, drag it into the Music app. The ringtone should then appear on your iPhone in 'Sound & Haptics'.

Hope this helps.

Ringtones and Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.