Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail Search Is Not Working

Apple Mail Version 13.0 (3594.4.19) Search has stopped working since I upgraded to macOS Catalina (v10.15).

Mail Search fails to work on my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) and my MacBook Air, both immediately after upgrading the OS. A third MacBook whose OS I have not upgraded does not have this problem, and Apple Mail Search works just fine on it. iCloud Mail Search also works fine. The problem is confined to Macs running macOS Catalina.

I notice that sheng qi k posted the same problem a week ago, just after Catalina was released, and has received no reply or comment.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 10:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 2:05 AM

That worked brilliantly, thank you. For anyone reading here, I'll repeat the solution provided:

The Shift Open Mail twice and then reboot and reopen mail fixed mine!!

1. Close mail completely
  2. Hold Shift and click on Mail
  3. Close mail completely
  4. Hold Shift and click on Mail
  5. Close mail
  6. Reboot
  7. Open Mail
  8. Smile again!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2019 2:05 AM in response to mikethegreatandwonderful

That worked brilliantly, thank you. For anyone reading here, I'll repeat the solution provided:

The Shift Open Mail twice and then reboot and reopen mail fixed mine!!

1. Close mail completely
  2. Hold Shift and click on Mail
  3. Close mail completely
  4. Hold Shift and click on Mail
  5. Close mail
  6. Reboot
  7. Open Mail
  8. Smile again!

Oct 20, 2019 2:03 AM in response to Jeff_Headley

Quit Mail then have a look in System Preferences > Spotlight and check there is a tick next to Mail & Messages. If ticked try removing the tick exiting System Preferences and then opening again and putting the tick back. If this fails then try to re-index Spotlight using the instructions here: How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 25, 2019 12:39 PM in response to Morten Bibow Hansen

Well that *****. Mine is continuing to work... Hopefully!

I have seen some having issues with Gmail accounts connected. I have my gmail account connected and it is working.

I haven't a clue if this has anything to do with my continued success, but I also tried this before and without success before doing as Jeff H described.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250711804?answerId=251364249022#251364249022

1) Launch the Terminal.app (Just copy/paste the string starting with sudo.... and press return)

2) Stop Spotlight and remove the indexing: # sudo mdutil -i off -E / <return>

3) Enable it again by typing: # sudo mdutil -i on / <return>

Oct 20, 2019 9:04 AM in response to xxMikeBxx

Removing the Mail & Messages tick in Spotllight Search Results (with Mail closed), exiting System Preferences, then going back in and restoring the tick made no difference. The article suggests using Spotlight's Privacy tab to add, then remove, the mail folder, but gives no guidance on where to find that folder.

There are two things these Macs had in common during the macOS Catalina installation, and I wonder if either contributed to the Search feature failing to work.

First, during the installation a screen appears describing new reports available for screen time, etc. There's an arrow at the bottom to move to the next step, or an option at the top to click saying Setup Later. In both installs I clicked that option, and then the machine hung for over an hour in each case. I had to reboot each of them to finish the installation. When installing on a third Mac I clicked the arrow at the bottom, and it simply moved to the next screen. Perhaps choosing Setup Later, and having the installation hang, affected something else?

Second, after installaing macOS Catalina, when I first opened Mail, it said on both Macs that it needed to rebuild the Mail database. The Search failed to work immediately after that rebuild on both Macs.

Do either of these provide any clues?

Oct 22, 2019 8:10 AM in response to Jeff_Headley

I am having the exit issue that you describe. When typing in something in the search box I get to specify the mailbox only. Previously you could select subject. If it was a persons name, you could select 'From' or 'To'... None of that works at all.

An enormous pain in the butt to need to search through the emails. I guess I will need to move to another client.

How did you bork this???

Oct 22, 2019 9:05 AM in response to mikethegreatandwonderful

No solution so far, just a growing list of people reporting the same problem.

My current workaround is to use iCloud Mail or my iPhone Mail client, as Search works fine on anything not running macOS Catalina.

Seems we’re not alone with many of these challenges: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-macos-catalina-is-not-apples-finest-moment/?ftag=TREb82e1fa&bhid=113455333

Apple Mail Search Is Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.