Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Date format on MacOS Catalina

I use Mac with Norwegian language. Some of the apps I use are only in English language, and that has never been a problem. Now, after I updated the Mac from High Sierra to Catalina, The date format no longer follows the format I have selected in Language and Region settings. Instead it follows the language of the app. That is a problem. My invoice app (Totals 3) doesn't exist in Norwegian and I use the English version. When I send an invoice I want the date to be in Norwegian format. That has never been a problem earlier. Is there anybody that knows how to get Catalina to use the format selected in Language and Region settings even if the app is in English?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 6:58 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 20, 2019 9:26 AM in response to werner225

Go to Language & Region and then ensure you have your preferred language installed. Remove any other if you see.

Now go to Advance option, under dates tab, you can customise the format as you want.

That's exactly what I do. My preferred language is English UK, but Mac OS still shows US date/time formats all over the places, so I have to literally enforce the formats manually. Even though I live in Canada, but I have my region/language set as the UK as I don't want to use MM-DD-YYYY format.

So if you already have that aligned, then there's nothing you can do as lots of apps still use US date formats no matter what language you have selected in your OS. Enforcing people to get used to of that.

Oct 20, 2019 10:34 AM in response to Farrukh

Hi and thanks for the reply. I think that you have misunderstood my issue. I have my settings set to Norway and want to have Norwegian date format. I also get Norwegian date format on apps that are translated to Norwegian.

Some apps have however not been translated to Norwegian, and I then have to use the English version. In High Sierra that was not a problem, as I still got the Norwegian date format. In Catalina however, the date format changes with the language of the app. That means that you get English date format if the app is installed with the English language instead of just following the format that is set in the computer settings, as we got earlier.

Date format on MacOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.