Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone keeps asking for Apple ID password

Ever since I updated all of my devices to iOS 13, I keep getting daily occasional pop ups asking me to input my Apple ID password. This happens at least once a day on multiple devices. I have tried to research the issue, and from what I’ve found, people have said to sign out of my Apple ID, and then sign back in. Does anyone else know of a fix? Also when it comes to location tracking privacy, about every 3 days I’ll have a notification saying that an app has been tracking me in the background. I approve it, which should take care of it, but there are apps that seem to not remember that I allow it and it just keeps asking. Anyone else having these issues?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 12:35 AM

Having the same issue here.

it seems the password is being asked for background downloading of app updates.

I knew of the “hidden” password menu in iTunes and AppStore menu.

that was the first thing I tried to change to fix this issue.

My toggle for asking password on free downloads (which should also dictate the behaviour when downloading app updates) is in the OFF position.

Still the phone asks me for the password every single day.

What I did notice though is that if I go into the AppStore app and try to manually download app updates, it doesn’t ask me for a password if I update one app at a time.

If I just select “update all” at the top of the list, the password prompt appears, disregarding the Touch ID being activated for AppStore “purchases”.

Also, if I try to download a new free app, the Touch ID prompt appears as it should, following the setting in iTunes and AppStore menu.

For me the issue started a few weeks ago, but since I have multiple Apple devices and it started doing that all of a sudden across all of them, I’m assuming it’s a server-side issue, since I definitively didn’t change the same setting on all my Apple devices.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2020 12:35 AM in response to msimpson81

Having the same issue here.

it seems the password is being asked for background downloading of app updates.

I knew of the “hidden” password menu in iTunes and AppStore menu.

that was the first thing I tried to change to fix this issue.

My toggle for asking password on free downloads (which should also dictate the behaviour when downloading app updates) is in the OFF position.

Still the phone asks me for the password every single day.

What I did notice though is that if I go into the AppStore app and try to manually download app updates, it doesn’t ask me for a password if I update one app at a time.

If I just select “update all” at the top of the list, the password prompt appears, disregarding the Touch ID being activated for AppStore “purchases”.

Also, if I try to download a new free app, the Touch ID prompt appears as it should, following the setting in iTunes and AppStore menu.

For me the issue started a few weeks ago, but since I have multiple Apple devices and it started doing that all of a sudden across all of them, I’m assuming it’s a server-side issue, since I definitively didn’t change the same setting on all my Apple devices.

Jan 10, 2020 2:29 AM in response to Sp3ct3r

I FIXED IT. I genuinely, finally found the issue. Listen up boys and girls.. if you’ve had your iPhone ask you for your Apple ID password EVERY DAY since ios13 - I’m about to drop a fix on ya.

First go to Settings -> “Touch/Face ID & Passcode”

Turn OFF “iTunes and App Store” under “use Touch/Face ID for”

Then go to Settings -> “iTunes and App Store” -> Password Settings at the top (if this doesn’t appear, turn off Screen Time. This another bug. Thanks apple)

if you’re like me, you’ll have the setting Require Password both switched ON and GREYED OUT. Either way, select Always Require at the top, authenticate if it asks, then select Require After 15 Minutes. And then authenticate again. Sometime two or three times.

either way, then you’ll be able to switch Require Password OFF.

that will fix the problem.

i suspect you’ll be able to the switch back on Require Password and also Touch/Face ID for iTunes and App Store, but I haven’t been game yet to try it.

just so happy that my phone isn’t prompting me every single day for my password, sometimes at midnight when I’m trying to sleep.

Feb 19, 2020 3:42 PM in response to sbc109

Hey guys!

For those of you still having this issue, check in your Screen Time settings.

I just found out today that on my iPhone in the “content restriction and privacy” section in Screen Time the content restriction had been activated and under “iTunes and App Store purchase” the setting for password was set to “always ask”.

I disabled the password thing and then disabled the content restriction and now the phone no longer asks me for my Apple ID password when I select “update all” apps in AppStore.

I then changed the same setting on my iPad Pro too and now it’s not asking for password anymore either.

hope this might help some of you.

Jan 17, 2020 8:44 AM in response to msimpson81

My friend.

I cannot thank you enough for this post! This obnoxious issue has been plaguing me for multiple years over multiple phones and no one from Apple has ever offered any kind of help that actually fixed the issue.

This method fixed the problem and I've had no password pop ups for a few days in a row, thank goodness.

Again, huge thanks.

Oct 25, 2019 6:53 PM in response to Sp3ct3r

Apple’s QA must be crap. This a controlled Environment, bugs like this should be easily found and addressed before release.

to add to this issue, why is the full keyboard used when asking for the numeric passcode. Some people only remember the letters tied to the number pad and not the actual numbers. I know my lock screen code by the pattern.

Jan 3, 2020 8:40 AM in response to Eric Root

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents here as I've been dealing with this issue since launch of the 11 pro. Ordered an 11 on launch day and been dealing with this since I turned it on. Spent numerous hours on the phone with Apple support and in person at a store and I've run through the gamut on diagnostic steps; Signed out/back into AppleID, changed AppleID password, reset phone to factory defaults 3 times, made sure no apps are pending updates etc all to no avail. Finally due to this and some other issues I've been having with the phone they sent me a replacement, which worked great for ~ 2 weeks and now the problem has returned with no other changes to my AppleID or phone. This is looking to be another bug in the laundry list that iOS 13 has introduced.

Jan 28, 2020 7:57 AM in response to msimpson81

THIS IS IT! A weeks of refusing to enter my password (and no immediate repercussions), I saw that none of my apps had been updated, despite automatic updates being turned on. My best guess is that the daily prompts is the App Store trying to update my apps and asking for a password even when it isn't supposed to. This explains why it was *almost* at the same time every day- if there were no new updates 24 hours later, perhaps it wouldn't ask again until there were. Now that I knew the App Store was to blame, I was able to google and find your answer.

iPhone keeps asking for Apple ID password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.