Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone won't sync to my computer without unother software update

My MacBook Pro is from late 2013 and is presently running on Mojave 10.14.6 which is a recent software update. I also recently updated the software on my iPhone 6S to IOS 13.1.3. Now I am getting a message that I have to update my MacBook Pro software again if I want my phone to sync to the computer. I am concerned that updating the software again will slow my computer down even more. My battery barely lasts a couple of hours and sometimes it takes forever for a page to load.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 11:16 AM

Hi skichick97701,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today. It sounds like you are concerned about updating your software on your Mac.

You shouldn't need to upgrade to Catalina in order to sync your iPhone. Your computer will easily support the macOS upgrade though. You can read more about Catalina here: macOS Catalina. If staying on Mojave, it would be advisable to check for an iTunes update available in your Mac App Store.

What you may be seeing is this message: If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. This would just be a small update to make and should have no effect on the performance of your Mac.

You can also read more about your battery here: About Mac notebook batteries. If you Mac needs battery service, there should be a message displayed.

You can also see how pages load when the Mac is in safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. If pages are loading faster in safe mode, it might be due to an extension that Safari is using: Get extensions to customize Safari on Mac. Extensions and other third-party programs are disabled in safe mode.

Have a fantastic weekend!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2019 11:16 AM in response to skichick97701

Hi skichick97701,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today. It sounds like you are concerned about updating your software on your Mac.

You shouldn't need to upgrade to Catalina in order to sync your iPhone. Your computer will easily support the macOS upgrade though. You can read more about Catalina here: macOS Catalina. If staying on Mojave, it would be advisable to check for an iTunes update available in your Mac App Store.

What you may be seeing is this message: If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. This would just be a small update to make and should have no effect on the performance of your Mac.

You can also read more about your battery here: About Mac notebook batteries. If you Mac needs battery service, there should be a message displayed.

You can also see how pages load when the Mac is in safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. If pages are loading faster in safe mode, it might be due to an extension that Safari is using: Get extensions to customize Safari on Mac. Extensions and other third-party programs are disabled in safe mode.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Oct 26, 2019 12:35 PM in response to BreeZee_17

Hi BreeZee_17,

Thank you for that information. I checked my battery as you suggested and it is considered Normal range. It does suggest that Safari is using battery power and I am often reminded when on the Yahoo website, that it is using significant energy. This is also the site that I get the swirling rainbow ball the most for opening articles and video.

I am seeing this message "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch but I checked the App store for updates and there are none except for the offer to update to MacOS Catalina. I also checked in iTunes and it is up to date as well.

I printed out the safe mode pages and I am going to see if I get the same slowness in safe mode, especially on Yahoo. I looked at the Safari extensions I am using and the only one is the Rakuten site for discounts for on line purchases.

At least I have a starting point now and and reassured about my battery.

Thank you,

Skichick97701

My phone won't sync to my computer without unother software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.