Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To sync my I phone 10 I was given a notice my I Mac must be updated first. My iMac is older and if I update it it may crash. what do I do? Can I no longer sync my I phone 10?

To sync my I phone 10 I was given a notice my I Mac must be updated first. My iMac is older and if I update it it may crash. what do I do? Can I no longer sync my I phone 10?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 4:11 PM

4 replies

Sep 18, 2021 12:09 PM in response to canapplesupporthelp

Hi canapplesupporthelp,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you have some concerns about updating your older iMac in order to sync your iPhone, and we'd like to assist. It looks like you've come from a relevant article for the issue you're having. First, we recommend backing up with Time Machine. This will back up all your data and allow you to revert to the previous version of macOS if needed.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

We also recommend running First Aid in Disk Utility to check your disk for errors prior to installing the update. This can help ensure the update goes smoothly.

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility

Take care.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.