Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search in Finder/Spotlight etc doesn't work

Since yesterday all kinds of searches either return nothing or very few results. This also happens on a number of external drives. I have rebuilt the Spotlight index sveral times, but it makes no difference. This is very untimely since I need to search for tons of files to finish an important project, preferably yesterday. All help is greatly appreciated!

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 2:09 PM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

I've used this for years to really find stuff...

Find Any File...

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php

Hold Option or alt key when selecting Find to Find All.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2019 2:09 PM in response to KanjiHanzi

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

I've used this for years to really find stuff...

Find Any File...

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php

Hold Option or alt key when selecting Find to Find All.

Oct 23, 2019 9:48 AM in response to KanjiHanzi

OOPs, you mistakenly marked it solved. :(

Manually Rebuilding Spotlight via Terminal

If the aforementioned Spotlight control panel approach doesn’t spur a reindexation of the drive, you may need to initiate it manually through the command line. Open Terminal and use the following command string to do so:

sudo mdutil -E /

This basically asks for temporary super user status, which is why Terminal may ask you for your password (it may not if you’ve used a sudo command recently or are already logged in as a super user or root. The command asks the unix tool mdutil to reindex the spotlight database for everything on the computer, including external drives, mounted disk images, etc. To re-index only for a specific drive, use the /Volumes path. For example, for an external drive named “MiniMe,” the command would look like this:

sudo mdutil -i on /

Rebuilding a drive index can take a long time, so be prepared to wait whether you do it through the System Preference panel or the command line.

Search in Finder/Spotlight etc doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.