Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot upgrade to Catalina - get a timeout message

Hi,

I have a mid-2015 MacBook Pro Retina.

I've been trying to update to Catalina for over a week and I keep getting a timeout message

The request timed out. An error occurred while installing the selected updates.

Any ideas on why this would happen?

thanks

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 11:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 8:29 AM

Hey bindi227,

I understand you're having trouble installing Catalina. I'll be happy to help out.

Try creating a test user account on your MacBook, and see if you can install macOS Catalina his way. If you're able to download and install macOS, then you can safely delete the test user account after the system has been updated. Here's how to create a test user account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac 

If you're unable to access the user account to create a test user account, you can try instead reinstalling macOS using these steps: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Keep us updated. Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2019 8:29 AM in response to bindi227

Hey bindi227,

I understand you're having trouble installing Catalina. I'll be happy to help out.

Try creating a test user account on your MacBook, and see if you can install macOS Catalina his way. If you're able to download and install macOS, then you can safely delete the test user account after the system has been updated. Here's how to create a test user account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac 

If you're unable to access the user account to create a test user account, you can try instead reinstalling macOS using these steps: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Keep us updated. Cheers!

Cannot upgrade to Catalina - get a timeout message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.