Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External mic works but not on MacBook Air

I have a Samson C01U mic that works perfectly with my early 2015 MacBook Air running Mojave. I just bought a Samson GoMic that worked fine until I tried it with Dragon Dictate. I attempted the DD "calibrate" reading and clearly that wasn't working. From that point on whatever audio program I use the GoMic with – QuickTime, Audacity etc. – distorts the recording so as to make it unintelligible. (It plays back molasses slow, maybe 1/5 regular speed.)

The GoMic continues to work perfectly on my old ChromeBook so the issue is clearly between the GoMic and the MacBook. I fiddled with all of the sound preferences to no avail. I opened the MIDI in utilities and couldn't get it working that way. Googling around I find that the GoMic should work seamlessly with my Air.

I eventually reset the NVRAM and the GoMic started to work again.

Then I stupidly gave Dragon Dictate another go and the GoMic went back to distorted recording. Again, only on my MacBook and not on the ChromeBook.

I tried to rest the NVRAM again but this time it didn't bring the GoMic back to life.

For what it's worth, I have a Samson C01U desktop mic that works fine and always has. Any thoughts?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 9:51 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

External mic works but not on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.