Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update of Silence Mode

Used to be able to see when you switched your iPhone to silent because the icon of the ringer with a slash came up. The update removed the icon and has a tiny silent you can't even see.  Anyway to increase the new confirmation so you know if it is really silent?

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 7:44 PM

Hello darla1005,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! I see that you have a concern about how it's difficult to tell when your iPhone has been placed in silent mode after updating iOS. If you have "Change with Buttons" enabled to control the volume of your ringtones, pressing the Volume down button on your iPhone will make the Ringer slider appear on your screen again, allowing you to double check that the silent mode icon shows:

If you'd like to provide feedback to Apple about the interface change with this feature, I also suggest visiting the following link:

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2019 7:44 PM in response to darla1005

Hello darla1005,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! I see that you have a concern about how it's difficult to tell when your iPhone has been placed in silent mode after updating iOS. If you have "Change with Buttons" enabled to control the volume of your ringtones, pressing the Volume down button on your iPhone will make the Ringer slider appear on your screen again, allowing you to double check that the silent mode icon shows:

If you'd like to provide feedback to Apple about the interface change with this feature, I also suggest visiting the following link:

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Take care.

Oct 27, 2019 8:55 PM in response to darla1005

The icon has been changed in the new iOS. The only way to really tell if the iPhone is on silent is to either turn the phone to the side and look at the switch, it is orange if it is on silent. Or, turn the switch one way, see what appears on the screen, and the other if it originally showed ringer. When you turn it to Silent, the information in the dialog is in Red.

Oct 27, 2019 8:31 PM in response to CarlAVII

Thanks Allen. I do have "change with buttons" enabled and agree it brings the icon back on the phone, but the new icon is so tiny I can't tell even then if it is on silent or not. The older icon was much larger and easier to read. Sorry, it is probably my old eyes, but I simply can't tell with the latest update. I have to try the phone from another device to know for sure.

Update of Silence Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.